Chapter 96

3rd POV:

       While some are taking care of family feuds or dancing around with blades in their hands, others have a more adventurous way of training. If you thought only grade-schoolers play cops and robbers at this point, a certain devil dragon might contradict you on that. If you were to listen closely, among the various sounds of nature like the wind or the fauna, you might hear the heavy breathing of a certain brown-haired pervert running for his life. Oh wait, it's training so he won't die, hopefully. 

       "Why am I the only one being chased!?", Hyoudou Issei screamed with any last bit of air left in his lungs. And he might have got an answer if the dragon wasn't too busy throwing flames at him. It's not like Issei doesn't understand why he needs to train, but he does feel this is a bit overboard. "This is just extreme cardio! How is this going to help!?", he continued with the questions.

       "Stop complaining. Isn't this the way you trained before the match against Riser as well?", intervened his partner, who, for better or for worse, is stuck in Issei's gauntlet. Truth be told, the perverted highschooler has, indeed, thought this felt odly familiar.

       "You're telling me Leon and some dragon that he never met have more in common than me and him, who go to the same school?!", he continued before rolling over to the left to avoid the line of fire coming from behind. 

The chase kept on going, passing through the dragon mountain and eventually reaching an open field near the end of the Gremory territory. They entered the field from the mountain and beyond it would be a deep forest. To Hyoudou's happiness, the constant attack has stopped.

     "Finally! I can catch my brea-"

    "Not so loud, Hyoudou Issei.", Tannin cut him off. It wasn't really by choice to stop the chase at the field, but rather an unexpected turn of events. 

Rightfully confused, he followed the dragon's line of sight till he spotted a single man, lying aginst a tree trunk, seemingly sleeping with ever so slight movement. Speak of the devil.

"HUH!? Wasn't he going to train!? How come he gets to sleep when I'm busting my ass over here!?", were some of the complaints Issei yelled out despite the initial request from Tannin to lower the volume. As the red dragon emperor closed the distance, however, it slowly hit him that this isn't just an ordinary nap.

"What are those?", he questioned the dark purple runes that kept spreading on Leon's visible skin, forming words, sentances and the rearranging themselves as if they can't make up their mind what message to relay, not that Issei could read them anyway. He came close to touching the runes, almost...

"I wouldn't do that if I were you.", a rough and dry voice echoed from the opposite side of the tree, lying in a similar position to Leon, choosing to stare at the sky instead of sleeping. "What are you guys up to, Tannin?", questioned the Horseman of Death.

"I am doing what I was told. Helping out the Red Dragon Emperor. But I wasn't told I'll find you here, kinslayer.", he entertained Death's conversation in an almost interested tone.

", he entertained Death's conversation in an almost interested tone