Chapter 44

Leon's POV

My god! My head hurts like shit and I can't see anything! Hell, I can't even move. What am I chained to? Where am I?!

Death:"Welcome to your own mind, human."

That voice...ok. So this is his doing.

Leon:"What is this all about, Death?"

Death:"Preserving what little humanity you have left. Tell me, do you remember what happened?"

Leon:" I remember being assaulted by horde of terrorists and chopping them apart, but... I don't remember anything after that..."

Death:"I see..."

Suddenly, I felt the chains around my arms disappearing and my blindfold was taken off. I was in dark room...was this even a room? And in front of me stood him, the kinslayer.

Death:"Take a seat."

As he said that, from beneath us, bones started surfacing, forming some sort of chair... lovely.

Leon:"So...what exactly do you plan to do by bringing me here?"

He clicked his fingers and what appeared to be Harvester showed up. But he was pointing to the handle, specifically.

Leon:"It cracked?"

Death:"Exactly what i expected from a cheap copy. It seems Vulgrim is lacking materials of quality..."

Vulgrim, huh? That old merchant. Supposedly, he made a lot of deals with the Horsemen in the past.

Leon:"Death, enough beating around the bush. What happened?"

...

Death:"You hit a wall in your developing as a Horseman. And I'm partially responsible."

Leon:"How so?"

Death:"The reason to why you had to resort to a copy of my scythe, to why it cracked and to why you almost self destructed... Your human body cannot handle anymore."

What? Cannot handle?! As if that's an excuse to lay down.

Leon:"Only me? What about the others?"

Death:"While it's true the curse affects your brothers as well, in your case it's worse. In other words, they fused with the souls of the Horsemen, you did not or else I wouldn't be able to talk to you this way."

Leon:"I know that already! I want to know why!"

Death:"The soul of my brothers were severed from their bodies when they died. Me, on the other hand, forced myself to leave my physical body-"

Leon:"...By cutting yourself with Harvester, severing the body-soul link...and I still don't know why?"

Death:"My brothers died in the war against the council, what other reason was for me to remain? As a reminder of the council? No way."

So this is the secret behind the reaper's death...ironic.

Leon:"Sigh..okay, so? You're going to tell me to take it easy or I'll end up dead?"

Death:"We both know that won't accomplish anything. So I have a different proposal."

Leon:"To fuse our souls?"

Death:"Not even I know how we can accomplish that, so until then, how about training to manipulate the curse?"

...

Leon:"Is that possible?"

Death:"With my help, yes. But I'm warning you, the effects of it will be surely amplified. Think you can handle that?