Chapter 26

Leon's POV

Sigh...I was taking a stroll around the outskirts of the city... thinking about our next move. The fact that a duel between dragons was coming up wasn't really helping..not to mention that the situation with the holy swords was already bad as it is...and on top of that, Anna is here as well...feels like the universe is playing a prank on me.

Things are slowly falling apart, one by one...but I ain't gonna accept it. Fate can go and screw itself!

"Are you sure that's wise?", Asked a voice, unknown to me, or was it? I looked around, but to no avail...there was no one. "No reason to be surprised.", The voice added.

"Show yourself! Who are you? Where are you?", I questioned.

"Where? Wherever you are. Who? I'm you, or better said, you are me.", it responded, not giving clear details.

" I don't have time for you, I have to-"

"Screw fate over?", it repeated my words. "Are you sure that's the right thing to do?"

"And who gets to decide what's right or not, government? God? You?", I retorted raising my voice.

"Hahaha... that's quite the spirit, but it won't be enough to change fate.", He explained.

"And what do you know? The way I see it, you have nothing to do with it.", I continue.

...

"You know very well what I know. You saw what I did when I was in your place, right?", He finished with one final question, placing the last piece of the puzzle.

Now everything became clear. The voice that was talking, the answers he gave me...this person was one of the original horsemen...Death.

"...How?", Was all I managed to say, cause I was too surprised to speak.

"It all has to do with how we were killed. That memory...none of you have it, right?", He explained.

Now that I think about it, not me nor my brothers posses clear memories of how the horsemen died, only the promise of coming back.

"Then...mind explaining?", I tried to get more details.

Unfortunately, we were rudely interrupted by a ... Little girl? ...What?!

"I would like to know the details as well...", She spoke in a cold tone. Despite her looks, power was emanating from her, something on a completely different level.

"Who are you?", I asked her, being wary of her. I don't like to sub estimate my enemies, though I still don't know her true intentions.

"My name is Ophis, that's all you need to know for now.", She answered quickly. "Now, if you don't mind, I'd like to listen to the story."

"You're the last person who needs to know this.", Death was fast to reply. It seems he doesn't have a good history with her, which indicates she's actually pretty old.

What came after was 5 minutes of nonsense for me and insults for the other 2. To be honest, this looked a lot like 2 children throwing a tantrum...and I don't like it.

"Enough!", I yelled which made both of the stops. "You 2 showed up for a reason, right? Out with it!"

Fortunately, they spilled the beans, without unnecessary comments.

"Very well. Leon Creed, I request your aid in completing my quest. You'll learn the details after you agree to serve me. Ah, but do not worry, your people of interest will be safe. Can always watch over them as their new god.", Ophis explained her offer, but that 'serve me' put me on alert.

"You should not listen to her. You have been chosen as a Horseman. Your duty is to preserve the balance between powers...as the king of the dead.", Death said his part.

"Ha, why be a king when you can be a god?", Ophis asked getting into an argument with Death, again.

Meanwhile, I was contemplating on the situation. On one hand, there was the duty of a Horseman, working yourself for the supernatural, on the other, keeping my family shielded at all times by serving a girl who's out to achieve who knows what goal. From any perspective, I end up a servant for either destiny or a master... TO HELL WITH IT!

In the middle of their argument, I started laughing, which made the other 2 confused and a bit angry that I wasn't taking the matter seriously.

"Is there something to laugh about?", Ophis questioned, unimpressed.

"Yeah.. your idiocy, both of you.", I responded still laughing. She didn't appreciate my honest response, hence her eyebrow twitched.

"I don't think you're in the position of calling me an Idiot.", She was really pissed.

"Oh really? You've been running your mouth here for over 10 minutes and let me tell you...it was for nothing. Horseman duty? Who asked me if I want to be one, huh? But while on the subject, if I am already horseman, why do I need godhood for? I don't think the safety of my family is any of your concern."

"You really think you can accomplish anything alone?", Ophis questioned again, preparing for battle.

"That's where you're wrong. Cause there's 4 of us working together."

"Hmph. You don't have enough power to defeat me.", She simply stated.

"Then I'll let you in on something. My power is directly linked to my emotions, and I ask you...how do you think I feel? Let me tell you...I feel like skinning a dragon alive. And it seems I'm in luck, cause one just tried to make me her slave.", although she acted indifferent, it seemed like combat wasn't in plan for her at the moment, leaving behind only a classic 'we'll meet again'.

3rd POV

As the laughter was still going, outside of the forest, Ophis was met by a certain cat-eared girl.

"Seems like you got to meet him, nya~", she spoke in her usual, lust filled tone.

"That boy... I was right, he'll be a problem for us. However, you have an odd taste for mates. You really think you'll be able to tame this one?", She questioned Kuroka.

"Nyahaha~ I don't mind if I'm the one being tamed, as long as he's the one!" it was clear, this girl was not willing to let go that easily.

Meanwhile

The situation calmed down inside the forest, to the point where the fire was completely extinguished.

"Now then, I don't think I need to repeat myself for you as well, Death, but get this...the balance is worthless to me. I don't care about it, as long as our world is safe. ", Leon stated once more about his intentions.

The spirit of Death remained silent for a few seconds, thinking about this whole ordeal until he finally made his mind.

"Sigh...Very well. At the very least, it's better than you joining forces with Ophis. It seems I made the right choice choosing you.", He replied.

"Good, now, back to the original problem, how exactly did you die? "

To be continued...