Chapter 82

3rd POV

       The argument between the 2 fathers was far from over, especially their views being complete opposites.

Isaac:"Mister Alex. I fail to see the logic behind your words. You want them to surpass your legacy, right? Wouldn't that imply they have first to reach your level and THEN surpass it?"

Alex:"Sigh, Isaac. Following the steps I took won't bring them even half way to where I am. They need to carve their own paths, ones that go further than mine."

      That alone wouldn't be enough to convince someone who had the same strong beliefs for over a few centuries by now. Even Alex knew that much.

Scarlett:"My husband's childhood, my childhood, they weren't ordinary days. To put it simply, this family was complicated way before the matter of Horsemen and gods were brought into play."

Cassandra:"You're making the argument that the circumstances decided what path you should take in life, am I right?"

Scarlett:"Yes. But our circumstances and theirs are just too different. We both grew up in households with a single parent whereas they had to support a disfunctional family. We were single children, they aren't and so on."

Alex:"On top that, they shoulder a responsibility far greater than we did at their age."

Isaac:"But they're still your children. They take after you."

Alex:"They were my children, Isaac. I a big hypocrite to school you on parenting considering I've been oblivious to it not too long ago. To this day, I completely deserved my broken nose."

...

Ravel:"Bruce Creed for su-"

Anna:"Jason. The first and single time he attacked Dad."

Ravel:"But isn't he the calm one?"

Scarlett:"He's not calm cause he wants to, dear Ravel. There are times when he on the edge...and that was one of it."

Alex:"I won't go into details too much, but to have what I have known as the docile and we'll behaved son suddenly plant my face into a wall. That was the Wake-up call I needed."

Zeoticus:"Is violence always involved in your family concerning changes of attitude?"

Scarlett:"His side of the family. A Mercer after all."

Alex:"Need I remind you it's one of the reasons you married me? Where did all the 'I love a man good with his fists' go?"

Scarlett:"That was a phase-"

Alex:"That lasted 15 years."

Scarlett:"..."

Alex:"That's what I thought. Anyway, the point I tried to make is that I can't and shouldn't treat those 4 as children anymore. In some regards, they already outclass me, so it's only obvious I should speak and act towards them as competent adults. Bottom line, we're past the point of holding their hands through everything."

Scarlett:"Not like we ever stopped to do that... Sigh."

Isaac:"I think I understand. You hope for them to reach succes through the way they're most comfortable with, instead of imitating you, as a failproof plan."

Alex:"That's the gist of it. Yes. It goes even more for your son, Riser. He's, at least by human standards, a full fledged adult. Advicing him is one thing, but you have to let him carry the burden of his actions. Otherwise, he won't gain any experience from it. He won't learn."

Riser:"Ris-...sigh...I apologise."

       Without a second thought, the pure blooded devil bowed his head to what he used to call inferior beings. If his fear wouldn't let him move in front of Leon, his father seemed to have the different effect.