Chapter 114

Officially at 2 million after this one.

~

3rd POV

In the outskirts of town, surrounded by more vegetation than human architecture, 2 wandering souls walked aimlessly through the woods, one more lost in though than the other. For the nephilim, it was a small mystery, but enough to catch his concern. The other one however, seemed troubled by the encounter of a few days ago, swearing that she could still feel the throbbing headache as her name was uttered by of the 2 red headed sisters.

"Grace, stop.", the manly voice echoed inside her head.

"Shut up. I am thinking."

"And I'm trying to make you avoid collision with a tree. So stop!"

Shaken out of her thoughts, she did as instructed, stopping mere inches away from the rough bark of a tree. Even dead men, or rather women, can get caught up in their own emotions apparently. With a disappointed sigh, she took refuge under the shade of said tree, resting her head against the rough surface. 

"And here I was getting used to finally sleeping on a bed, huh...", she uttered to herself. Physical fatigue might not be a problem for 2 souls without a proper body, but mental fatigue is a whole different matter. In that regard, albeit they'd never know or admit it at this point, she and Death's host shared the same opinions.

"At the very least, we didn't run into Death once more. To think we'd encounter someone who knew him."

The nephilim, as usual, was trying to see the full side of the glass, but his efforts to humor his partner seemed in vain, as the woman wasn't in the mood for banter.

"You say that but...maybe I could have found out something about me...Maybe me and him are related in some way, right?"

"Considering he didn't recognize you when you first met? I'd say the only common ground would be that both of you happened to link to nephilims. It's me and Death who are related here...then again, I can't say it's entirely chance that we got to meet so soon..."

"Nephilims drawn to one another?"

"Not as far as I'm aware, but maybe we share a different sort of bond considering we're the 2 eldest ones. Whatever, not the point. What now?" 

"I came to this town out of curiosity...and I got more questions now... Guess I can't just live and pretend nothing happened, right?"

"You're the one in charge of mobility here, I can't move your muscles."

"...You could work some more on what it means to be reassuring."

"I don't see how that would improve our case right now. Why would I reassure someone who's technically dead?"

"We're BOTH dead, remember?!", she raised her tone, only for the trees to hear it any louder.

"Fair deduction. But you mopping is certainly less useful than me not being reassuring. Don't you think?"

"I see you can be sarcastic though. Well...better than boring I suppose.", she stood up, dusting her bottom off the dirt she sat on. "For now, I guess it's better to avoid carelessly walking around town."

"Are we leaving?"

"No. Not yet. But we should definitely watch out backs more, to prevent running into more people who know Leon...or the man himself..."

"I have no qualms with it, but..."

"What?"

"...are you sure you're willing to proceed in this quest to uncover your past, considering how just one encounter affected you?"