3.

21 Months Later

It felt weird to be going home. The time that Derek had spent in Spain had flown by. He was only supposed to have been there for a year. One year of his residency and then he was going to be back here to finish his residency. But his plans had changed and now, close to two years later, he was on his way back to Seattle.

A lot of things had changed in Spain. The way the hospital worked had been completely different from when he was an intern. It was a nice change but he was looking forward to getting back to what he has first learned and getting back to the doctors that he started his career with.

Except one new doctor was joining him. Derek had met Addison Montgomery while in Spain and now they were going back to Seattle together. They had been in the same program and he had learned that she worked at a clinic close to the hospital. Derek wasn't looking for a relationship while he was away, but it had just happened and now he was on his way back with his new girlfriend.

Their flight was close to landing and the flight attendants were collecting pillows and headphones and telling the passengers to put their seats and their tray tables up. He couldn't believe that he was going to be back in Seattle. Back in Seattle where his career had started and where so many other things had happened for him.

"Derek." Addison Montgomery closed her book, crossing her arms as she looked at him. "Please don't tell me it rains all of the time here."

"Not all the time."

"Hmm...."

"There are ferryboats."

"You and those stupid ferryboats." Addison laughed, kissing Derek's cheek. "So...we can still go shopping after we check in at the hotel?"

"I um...yeah...I just have one thing to do first." Derek smiled.

"What?"

"Visit an old friend.:"

"Oh that's sweet." Addison nodded, her red hair flowing over her shoulder. "What's his name?"

"Her." Derek corrected Addison. "Her name is Meredith."

"Oh, Meredith." Addison nodded, looking back down at her book.

"Addie..."

"I didn't say anything." The red head sighed.

"The look says it all."

"What look?" Addison shrugged as the plane landed.

"Nothing." Derek laughed. "It'll just be quick...I don't even know if she still lives in the same place."

"Okay well...I'll just get freshened up when you go see Meredith and then you can come back....I'll be ready and we can go out."

"Sounds good."

"I need to get some new boots."

"Make sure their waterproof."

"Oh great." Addison rolled her eyes.

"It's not that bad. I promise."

"At least they have a Nordstroms...I checked."

"Of course you did." Derek chuckled.

"And a Barneys.....Cartier and Tiffany's."

"We're going to all of those places today?"

"Of course."

"What about jet lag?"

"Oh." Addison frowned as they stood and Derek handed her the expensive carry on bag from over head. "Well tomorrow..."