42.

She should be mothering right now. She shouldn't be watching her daughter scrunch her face as her grand father snuck the baby bites of his ice cream. With every bite, Emma flinched at the cold chocolate taste on her tongue but went asking for more. No instead, she was talking to her fake mommy and answering every question she had. A lot. It was a lot of questions.

A lot. Way too many questions and now Meredith was wondering why she didn't just write Susan a book, that would be much easier then answering all of these quesitons. Valid points, but a lot of questions. No, she wasn't busting Thatcher for giving her baby ice cream, instead she was waiting for Susan's next question. Next of many.

"I think its so wonderful that you and Derek are getting along." Susan smiled. "So he's officially moved in with you?"

"No...yes." Meredith took a grape between her fingers. "Well not really...he has land and a trailer but he never stays there...and most of his stuff is at my place...and he helps pay rent now so...yeah I think...maybe."

"And he's helping financially...in other ways?" Susan filled up Meredith's coffee cup.

"I...what do you mean?"

"Groceries...doctor visits...that sort of thing?"

"Well...yeah." Meredith said, watching Emma's eyes close and her nose scrunch as Thatcher gave her a large bite. She was going to get a brain freeze, but that probably wouldn't stop Emma.

"Ma!" Emma squealed after swallowing the ice cream, a big grin on her face, along with a lot of the ice cream Thatcher had been feeding her.

"Thatcher...Emma just busted you."

"Susan Dear...I think I'm going to need more ice cream. Emma stole mine." Thatcher joked, pretending he didn't hear Meredith so he could continue to spoil the only Granddaughter.

"Meredith is never going to get her to go down tonight." Susan laughed, putting a bit more ice cream in his bowl.

"I'll just give her to Derek." Meredith giggled. "He should be in by three in the morning...she'll still be up."

"But he's at home enough right?" Susan questioned.

"The only time he's not with us is when he's at work...which is a lot but Emma comes first."

"Dada!' Emma giggled at the mention of her dad's name.

"At work Em."

"Da." She grinned before Thatcher gave her more ice cream.

"Susan...I never remember Lexie or Molly getting this excited over ice cream." Thatcher said, wiping Emma's mouth before a drop could spill on her white shirt.

"That's because you gave it to them all the time." Susan rolled her eyes.

"I have no idea what my crazy wife is walking about." Thatcher said awkwardly. He and Meredith had come to pretty good terms in the last few years but he still worried about saying the wrong thing. "I um...Meredith I snuck Ice cream and blow pops to you. Susan wouldn't let me give Lexie or Molly suckers."

"Oh...yeah." Meredith nodded, smiling slightly as Emma stuck her hand onto his spoon and began pleading for more.

"Have you and Derek talked about...future plans?" Susan changed the subject.

"Future plans?" Meredith swallowed a grape.

"Yes..."

"Well...what kind?"