50.

They had been wrong. So extremely wrong. Emma was not okay without her Ba. The cupcake and the baby doll had just been distractions, but now that it was bed time, all Emma wanted was her Ba. Her face was bright red and stained with tears as she stood up in her crib, watching her parents who sat across, trying to figuring out how to comfort their infant daughter.

"Ba!" Emma screamed, bouncing on her legs as if she couldn't hear her at all. They could hear, every bit they could hear and now she was crying. This was a plan that had blown up in their faces and now they weren't sure what to do.

"Emma...Here." Derek tried for what seemed like the millionth time to give her the doll she had been playing with all day and had named Ba.

"Ba!" Emma pleaded, pushing her Babydoll to the side.

"Emma...." Meredith breathed, stroking the baby's cheek.

"Ba is in the box." Derek whispered to her as if she couldn't understand.

"Ba!" Emma sobbed as her father lifted her out of the crib.

"Shh.." He whispered, rubbing her back.

"Emma...it's okay."

"I...she has to tire herself out right?" Derek looked over to Meredith.

"I would hope so." Meredith whispered, stroking Emma's back as the baby screamed.

"Maybe its not because of the pacifier...maybe she's sick or something." Derek tried to reason with himself, not wanting to think that he did this by taking away her favorite thing.

"She's not." Meredith whispered.

"Please Emma...It's okay." Derek breathed.

"My Ba!"

"Ba's gone."

"And you're a big girl now and big girls don't need Ba's." Meredith said.

"No!" Emma screamed, her cries getting even worse.

"Em...." Meredith frowned, as Emma began to cough.

"It's okay." Derek patted her back.

"Noodle..."

"Ba!"

"I knew that had been too easy." Meredith groaned. It really had been because Emma seemed so proud of herself and now she was screaming bloody murder.

"She was fine." Derek sighed.

"I know."

"Emma...you were fine."

"My Ba...Ma...Da Ba!" Emma gasped, her body breaking into small coughs.

"Oh Em..." He frowned as she coughed and spit up.

"Emma Carolyn." Meredith reached for a wash cloth from the shelf and walked over to Emma to wipe her off.

"I can't...she can't do this..." Derek breathed.

"I...she's just making herself sick." Meredith tossed the cloth into the hamper before walking over to her drawers. "We're going to have to change her clothes."

"I'm going to get it." Derek said quickly.

"Get what?" She asked, taking Emma into her own arms.

"The pacifier." He replied, turning towrds the door.

"Um....don't." Meredith bit her lip, walking over to the changing table and knowing it would just be better to give it to her because then Emma wouldn't be making herself sick.