29.

"And Nancy tossed in a beautiful mother and daughter set of umbrellas. They're both pink...but one is a child's umbrella. Of course Meredith is the only girl you ever brought home that Nancy ended up liking." His mother explained.

"She and Addison would have gotten along." Derek laughed, turning into the street where Meredith lived.

"They would have, but did you really want to marry the same person as your sister?"

"I wasn't even thinking about marrying her."

"For Emma's sake alone, thank you."

"I'm sure Meredith will like the umbrellas." Derek laughed, shaking his head.

"Oh look." Mrs. Shepherd grinned widely, as they pulled into the parking spot of the apartment complex. She had looked up to find Emma peaking out the window, her eyes wide.

"Oh gosh..." Derek smiled, turning off the car, laughing as Emma disappeared from view.

"She's curious as well."

"She's...something."

"Well let me see this something." His mother grinned as Derek hoppped out of the car.

"She's waiting for you." He smiled, opening the truck to get his mother's bags out.

"And I am waiting for her." His mother smiled, taking her purse and the lightest of the bags before turning around to find Meredith standing at the top of the steps with Emma on her hip. The baby was as cute as she remembered, sucking on her pacifier and smiling wide.

"Hi Noodle..." Derek laughed, as he walked up the path towards the door.

"Da" Emma smiled, her teeth clenched on her pacifier as Meredith opened the door, holding their baby on her hip.

"Look who's here!"

"Emma...Meredith!" His mother stepped up quickly, meeting Meredith and Emma in the doorway.

"Hi." Meredith breathed, looking down at Emma.

"It's Grandma!" Derek laughed, taking Emma into his arms so his mother could say hello to Meredith.

"Hi...Mrs. Shepherd." Meredith said quietly, looking for reassurance in Derek's blue eyes.

"It's okay." He mouthed to her.

"Meredith Dear...It's wonderful to see you again." Mrs. Shepherd said, embracing Meredith in a hug.

"Oh um....good to see you too."

"Emma is absolutely beautiful." His mother beamed.

"Thank you." Meredith whispered.

"Mom...why don't you take Emma." Derek suggested.

"Oh...gladly." Mrs. Shepherd turned around, holding her hands out to the happy baby.

"It's Grandma..." Derek smiled, giving Emma to her grandmother.

"Hello Emma." The older womam grinned, holding Emma to her chest. "You're such a pretty girl...yes you are."

"Na!"

"Mer...Relax." Derek whispered in her ear, as they watched his mother hold Emma close.

"I'm...relaxed." She breathed, watching as Emma took her pacifier out of her mouth, offering it to his mother.

"Emma..." Derek laughed. "Grandma doesn't want your ba."

"Na...my Ba?" Emma smiled, holding it against the older woman's lips, before popping it back into her mouth.