34.

They had to talk. Except nothing was getting said. Or at least nothing was getting said in a civilized way. Anytime anything came out of either of their mouths, it was yelling and now, instead of talking or yelling, they were sitting on opposite ends of the sofa, in complete silence.

Derek didn't really know what to say. He was sorry for leaving. He knew that was the wrong thing to do but saying sorry just seemed too easy right now. There was a lot more that needed to be said and worked out other than the fact that he left. And nothing at all was happening.

"I'm just going to bed." Meredith put her phone down on the coffee table. They had been at this for hours.

"You're not going to say anything?"

"Every time I say something you yell."

"Because you keep blaming everything on me."

"And vice versa."

"I'm not blaming you...you actually did what I said you did."

"I can't take those things back Derek!"

"I'm not asking you to take it back!" He shouted.

"Seriously...I'm going to bed."

"Great...I'm glad you want to work this out."

"I did but you're just....I don't know what to say to you." Meredith fell back against the couch again, this time pulling a magazine into her lap.

"I just need you to understand why I feel this way Meredith." Derek sighed.

"I didn't call you...you weren't there and you missed out on most of the first year of Emma's life...I know."

"And you act like I shouldn't be upset about that!"

"I get why you're upset! I got it when you first got here."

"I can't forget it...I can...I can forgive you in time...but I can't forget it."

"I never asked you to." Meredith bit her lip, looking at the wall. "You offfered that up."

"But you're angry that I haven't."

"I didn't say that."

"Then what the hell is this about?"

"Are you serious? You want me to tell you because you're the one who threw a fit last night?"

"I just thought it would good if I was honest with you and I told you that I can't just...get over not knowing about her. I wasn't trying to start a fight."

"You weren't trying....you're an idiot." Meredith stood.

"I'm trying to apologize here!"

"No you're not. You're trying to cover your ass."

"I wasn't trying to start an argument Meredith." Derek groaned, standing up as well. "I was just being honest about why I was upset."

"And you handed it so calmly." Meredith rolled her eyes.

"I'm sorry!"

"And now we know you're never going to drop this."

"Were you not listening to what I said before?" Derek sighed, running his fingers through his hair, tired of the arguing.

"Fine." Meredith groaned, standing up and getting ready to walk out of the room.

"Meredith...wait."