16.

Derek was mad. He was far more than mad as he cleaned up from his daughter's first birthday party. Meredith had gone outside to talk to her sister Lexie and say goodbye to her and her step mother and Derek was inside with Addison and his mother, who was holding Emma, smiling and kissing her newest granddaugther. That sight was supposed to make him happy, even emotional. Except all he felt was anger at what had happened that day, his baby's first birthday that should have been a happy occasion.

"Ba....ka....ma bo!" Emma giggled, as she buried her head in Mrs. Shepherd's shoulder, clutching her new blanket.

"Oh Derek...she's beautiful. She looks perfectly like you and Meredith." His mother smiled.

"She needs to calm down so Meredith can put her down for a nap." Derek replied, tossing some empty cups into a garbage bag.

"She needs a bath." Addison sighed, crossing her arms as she walked back over to him. " She has icing all over her."

"I'd stay and do it but Meredith probably won't let me." Derek sighed.

"Well you can't because we have reservations at seven." Addison looked at her watch.

"I don't feel like going out."

"Teer Oh?" Emma smiled, pointing the pink icing on her arm.

"No Dear...much better then a cheerio." The older woman chuckled.

"As cute as she is...she's a mess." Addison replied.

"Addison, can you help me?" Derek groaned.

"With what?"

"Cleaning up." Derek pointed to the table.

"Funny." Addison chuckled, a smile spreading across her lips before she looked at Derek who looked angry. Her smile faded as she looked up to find Emma and his mother looking up at her. She cleared her throat, looking at Derek. "Oh you're serious."

"You wanted to come...so help."

"Helping." Addison sighed.

"Derek, did you see that Emma looks like she's trying to learn to walk?" His mother smiled, as Addison slowly began to pick up cups from the messy party.

"Yeah." Derek nodded.

"Da!" Emma bounced, only wearing a pink diaper and tights as she smiled up at him.

"Hi Noodle." Derek smiled weakly.

"She says a lot for someone I can't understand." Addison smiled.

"I wish I could tell her why she's not going to see her Daddy as much anymore."

"Dear, don't be silly." Mrs. Shepherd stood, carrying Emma over to the table. "Meredith might be mad but she isn't going to take her away."

"She'd be a hypocrite if she did." Addison said, trying to help as she hesitantly picked up a napkin.

"If she does...I don't know if I can forgive you two." Derek breathed, trying not to yell at the thought of not seeing his daughter.

"If she does that then we'll see to it that Emma becomes ours permanently." Addison said, as Emma went into Derek's arms.

"I'm not going to take her away from Meredith." Derek said harshly to his girlfriend as he took his baby into his arms.

"Meredith doesn't mind taking her from Derek." Addison smiled sufficiently.

"Addison...I think Derek wants you to make him feel better...not evil."