22.

After Derek had chosen his daughter, Meredith had remained confused. For some reason, they had talked about the night before and they had decided that it was easier to be just them. He had kissed her twice and it felt like old them and old them fit because it used to work so well but still, Meredith was confused. "Lexie....I don't know what happened. I asked him about the night before right after he and his girlfriend broke up. Who does that?"

"Somebody who likes Derek." Lexie smiled.

"No...Derek and I...we're being friends for Emma."

"Friends who almost have sex?"

"We used to have sex all the time." Meredith shrugged, pushing her shopping cart down the baby aisle.

"And now...You want to do it again." Lexie laughed.

"I....we're just going to try and be old us...just as confusing as it used to be."

"So...that means...sex?"

"Yeah but haven't had sex yet." Meredith sighed.

"Aww...Poor baby." Lexie giggled.

"Lexie...it doesn't mean anything."

"Okay."

"It doesn't." Meredith leaned over to grab the pinwheels that Emma loved so much. "Oh....the fruit flavored ones are on sale."

"Do you care about him?" Lexie asked seriously.

'What?" Meredith frowned, looking up at her.

"Do you care about him?"

"He's Emma's father...of course I do."

"No...Not because of that."

"What do you mean?" Meredith asked, reaching for a bottle of apple juice.

"Do you care about him...like...care about him?"

"He's Derek...." Meredith breathed, as they walked further down the aisle.

"So that's a yes?" Lexie smiled.

"Lexie...we're friends. We were amazing friends before he left and he wants to try that again."

"Mer..."

"What?" Meredith groaned.

"What do you want?"

"I don't know." Meredith breathed. "Not even five minutes after Addison left I had to open my big mouth and say that the night before had been great and then he said he wants to be old us....it's confusing."

"I can't believe Addison made him choose...It's obvious who's more important..."

"He said we were his family. But...Emma's his family..."

"And you."

"I'm his friend."

"You're the mother of his child...that's not just friends."

"Then....it's bad for us to go back to being us."

"Oh god..." Lexie rolled her eyes.

"What?"

"It's so obvious to everybody but you two."

"What?"

"That you want to be with each other."

"I hid a child from him...."

"And he forgave you...That's not the kind of guy you let go."