38.

Meredith looked completely confused as Derek pulled onto a dirt road, after they had been driving from their apartment for almost thirty minutes. He had told her that he wanted to show her something, but not what and now they were in the car on the way to his land. Meredith knew about the land but she had never seen it and now Derek wanted to take Meredith and Emma out to see it and show them the land he had bought, that he was thinking would be where they built their home.

"Ba...no Da my goo!" Emma looked around from her car seat. She had just woken up and now she looked around in complete confusion.

"We're almost there Em." Derek chuckled.

"They're called trees Em." Meredith giggled.

"Just...a little longer down..." Derek said to himself for stopping the car.

"What?"

"We're here."

"We're here?" Meredith frowned, as he parked on the grass.

"We're here." Derek repeated, taking the keys out of the ignition and unbuckling his seatbelt.

"Da? Da...." Emma frowned.

"I'm coming Em."

"This is land Derek. Grass and trees with hills and mountains and...is this your land?"

"Yeah." Derek smiled, looking at Meredith as he opened the car door.

'It's the land." She nodded, looking at Emma in the back, before out the front windshield.

"What do you think?"

"It's....green."

"Good observation." Derek laughed.

"Da?" Emma made a face, looking around the unfamiliar land as Derek took her out of the car seat.

"Yeah...." Meredith breathed, moving out of the car as Derek reached for Emma's hat.

"I've been wanting to bring you both out here but...I didn't know when we'd have time."

"It's....really...wow." She gazed. There was nothing around. Just trees, nature and them. It was kind of amazing.

"When Addison was...I'd come out here." Derek said, holding Emma in his arms.

"I don't think Emma actually knows what to think."

"What do you think of it Em?" He whispered, kissing Emma's head.

"My ba." Emma reached for the pacifier, before holding it up to the sky.

"That's all she ever thinks about." Derek laughed, reaching for Meredith's hand.

"This is....it's kind of amazing." Meredith looked out over a far away cliff. The trees and mountains of Seattle surrounded them.

"It's ours."

"It's yours." She breathed.

"No...Ours." He corrected her.

"It's your land...that you wanted to do something with and Emma...she's ours."

"It'll be our land when...the house..."

"House?"

"Yeah." Derek looked over at her, smiling.

"House." She slowly grinned, as Emma looked around, shivering sligthly.

"Our room would be over there." Derek said, pointing to the area where the best view was.

"Our room."