Power Scaling

I void step the closest I can to Xyrus Academy.

Looking at it from here, nothing seems particularly wrong with it.

It could be chaos inside for all I know.

Seeing that I can't sense Arthur's mana signature, he must be in the training room.

So that I don't bump into anyone I void step to the room.

Just in time to see a clear orb, sparkling with a myriad of colors shot towards a figure cocooned in dark tendrils

Dark tendrils...

Tess?

The orb went inside the cocoon as light escaped through its crevices.

*BOOOM!*

The cocoon exploded, and a black haired Tessia came out.

The orb went inside her sternum, right into her mana core, resulting in her returning to normal.

Tess was unconscious with the vines covering her enough for her to keep her modesty.

As the orb disappeared completely, a fiery green aura manifested around her. Dozens of emerald gems dotted the still growing aura, and the black vines turn to a more forest green hue.

Before the aura could reach us, it dissipated and went back in.

Just before Tessia fell.

Arthur managed to catch her in time.

Tessia mumbled something, making Arthur laugh out loud.

"TESSIA!" Gramps ran to where Arthur stood, holding Tessia.

"She's ok Gramps, only sleeping." Arthur reassured him.

"...She is okay." Virion slumped down.

"What the hell happened here?" I exclaim, making Arthur yelp and Gramps to snap his neck towards me.

"When did you get here?!" Arthur asked.

"Just as the orb thing shot towards Tess."

"Why didn't I sense you?"

"How the hell would I know? Maybe you were too busy staring at your girlfriend, I dunno." I shrug.

Gramps grins at me while Arthur glares, "She is not my girlfriend!"

"Sure, so what happened?"

He sighs before answering, "She just finished her assimilation."

"Well duh, that much was obvious. I meant why was it so...violent?"

"The elderwood guardians beast will rejected her and fought to take control." He replied, setting Tessia on the ground.

As he turned back, I see the wound on his chest, "What happened to you?"

"Apparently she doesn't like me very much now," He chuckles.

"Huh?"

"The vines attacked when I tried to go near her."

"I see."

"So when did you two come back? Your family knows right?" Gramps chimes in.

"Yeah, we came back last night and even spent sometime with them earlier today..." Arthur paused, as if realizing something.

"Gramps, I'm sorry, I-I should've rushed back-" Is all he is able to get out before I whack him on his head.

"Don't apologize dumbass! We did the right thing going home first, besides there was too much on our mind yesterday." My voice turns quiet and somber near the end.

"...Your parent's had a fair share of worries raising you two huh," Gramps chuckles.

"Wha-"

"Yeah they did." I answer for Arthur.

"He's right brat, you did good in visiting your parents first. Tessia has her own family to take care of her. Your family needed you to be there for them, you did give them a big scare by the stunt you two pulled. So don't be sorry for spending some much needed time with your family." He pats Arthurs back.

Silence ensued after that.

Until Arthur decided to break the silence, "Hey gramps...what do you know about the six lances?"

I immediately perk up, listening intently.

"The lances? Why the sudden curiosity?"

"..." Arthur remains quiet, not revealing what we had learned just yet.

"What exactly did you want to know about them?" Gramps tried again.

"How strong are they?" Arthur asked after a moment of silence.

Heaving a sigh Virion answers, "Let me answer your question with another question, how strong do you imagine white core mages are?"

"A few silver core mages?" I assume.

He nods.

Wait what?

That was a wild guess.

"Taking myself as an example. I am a mid-silver mage, I don't believe I've ever told you that. It would take around 10 of me to fight a mid white core mage to a standstill, and that's me being generous." He laughed.

...

So that means this 'Vritra' was that much stronger?

He was able to decimate a white core mage.

So how many mid silvers would it take to fight one of them

50?

A hundred?

Or is it in the thousands?

Seemingly not noticing my inner conflict Gramps continued, "Now Cynthia is a high silver core mage, and even then it would take 6 to 7 of her to keep one mid white core at bay."

Do we really have a chance?

Don't worry father, Noctis will help you.

We can't be certain can we?

Yes, we can. I know he will help you.

What makes you so certain?

My instinct.

Fine...I'll trust your instinct.

"I don't get it...what's stopping these mages from taking control of a kingdom? Hell where did they come from anyways. It's not like they just popped out of nowhere." Arthur enquires.

"You make excellent points Arthur, but I must have you swear to me not to reveal this to Tessia under any circumstances. She's better off not knowing of these...dark matters...at least until she grows older."

"I'll keep it a secret." Arthur nodded.

"You have my word Virion." I reply, a fierce expression on my face.

"I'll explain their origins later, as for their strength. They are above the level of regular white core mages, however before being knighted they were only at the Silver core."

"What?! How?!" I ask.

"That doesn't make any sense!" Arthur added

"Do you think the three royal families could stay in power without any major powerhouses in line for the throne?" He held a conflicted expression now.

"This is classified information only the royal families know. I'm revealing this to you because for some reason I just know you will need this information in the future, especially with your wills and bonds."

"What do our wills and bonds have anything to do with this?"

He turns towards me, "Tell me Fayden, do you believe in the existence of Gods?"