The Train

A rich 'thwack' resounded around us as Ellie's mana arrow embedded itself in a wooden plank, piercing through it before dissipating.

"Great shot!" Arthur applauded.

"Agreed, not many people can shoot that well in their adolescence." I nodded, standing cross-armed beside him.

She curtsied, beaming at us, "I know!"

Jumping down from Boo's back, she skipped over to us.

"So, can you fire that accurately while Boo is moving?" Arthur asked, grinning.

She visibly deflated, "Ugh, not yet. Helen made it look so easy, but I have had no luck in shooting while he's moving. It doesn't help that the klutz runs like he's purposely trying to throw me off his back."

Boo grunted at her comment, likely defending himself.

"You do so!" she shot back.

Arthur stared at her hands, noticing the calluses on them, "How much time do you spend practicing, El?"

Ellie thought for a second, "I don't really keep track, but the sun goes down while I train, so around six to seven hours?"

Now that was surprising, "You train seven hours everyday?"

She shrugged, "I guess so."

"What about studying or playing with friends?" Arthur asked.

"The classes in the castle are only once a week, and I can finish the study material they give me in a day." she answered, before hesitating for a bit, "As for friends, I'll have you know I'm very popular."

A blind man could have seen through that lie.

"Really?" Arthur asked, eyebrows raised.

Under his gaze, Ellie burst out, "Well, it's not my fault that I have absolutely no interest in the things they talk about. How is it possible for anyone to talk nonstop about boys and clothes for hours?"

"Hell if I know Ellie, women are hard to understand." I said, sympathizing with her.

"I'm sure there are a few kids your age with an interest in magic." Arthur suggested, nodding subtly at my comment.

Ellie pulled out a chair, sitting on it, "Well, there were a few, but when they awakened, their parents moved out of the castle, or just sent the kids to one of the major cities to have them board at a magic school."

Arthur paused for a few seconds, "Did you want to attend a magic academy as well?"

"Of course," Ellie replied instantly, "but I know you guys would worry."

Arthur winced at that, realizing how mature she has grown, or rather she was forced to grow this quickly.

I was not a fool, I knew she had to grow, especially during these times. Arthur and I could die at any moment in this war, she needed to be strong then, no matter how much we wish she didn't have to.

I didn't need to enter his mind to know Arthur was thinking something similar.

Arthur smiled gently at her, "I'll talk to Mom and Dad when I get the chance and ask them about sending you to school."

"Really?" Ellie asked, her expression brightening.

I shook my head, don't make promises you might not be able to keep Arthur.

[Didn't you promise her that you will always return alive or something?]

What of it?

[You just considered you and your brother dying in this war.]