Recoil

"Thank you all for waiting!" Virion spoke as the illuminating artifact over his head activated.

A thundering applause broke out, and it took a few minutes for them to calm down.

"First, let me apologize to everyone here. I know that little has been said about the purpose of this event. This was done intentionally-not for security, and certainly not for safety. No, this was done for the sake of surprising each and every person here today."

He certainly can act his part.

"Yes, you all heard correctly," he chuckled. "Some positive news-in the form of a surprise-is something we could all use in these times of duress."

"So, since I've kept you all waiting long enough, allow me to present to you our first step toward victory in this war! We have come together today to commend the one responsible for eradicating a central power of the enemy side-a retainer!" He stepped aside, as the stage he was standing on, split in half, revealing the retainer entombed in ice.

And then came his majesty, dressed in a lavish robe of silk, his hands covered in gloves and a white pelt of fur hung over one shoulder.

He turned his head, staring at the retainer for a good few seconds, before turning back to us, "While I deeply disapprove of displaying a corpse as some sort of trophy or keepsake for the masses to gawk at, but those of you attending this event tonight aren't part of the masses. Each noble here knows that the workers, civilians, and inhabitants of your lands are waiting impatiently for news regarding this war-until now, vague assumptions and baseless theories were the only things you could give them."

He paused for dramatic effect, before speaking again, "Born to a humble background, I have been able to climb to where I am now thanks to my family-as well as the friends I met along the way. I am now a Lance, and the youngest one at that, but I'm not the strongest. The Lances out there, some whom are fighting battles as we speak, are far above me in power-yet even I was able to defeat a retainer, one of the so-called 'highest powers' of the Alacryan army."

I shook my head.

You're already on the level of a lance if not further with your Realmheart.

As the mutterings died down, he smiled, "As you can see, I've sustained no injuries from my battle with this supposedly powerful force, and am healthy enough to chatter on like this amongst a crowd of nobles,"

Placing an arm on the tomb, he turned his face towards the council, "This is not only my offering to the Council, who has granted me this role, but is also a gift that I hope you can all take home and share with your people-figuratively, of course."

As the cheers and laughs overtook the silence, Arthur bowed and left the stage, Virion taking his place, "Please feel free to get a closer look at the Vritra, and I hope you enjoy the rest of the evening."

Virion too left after that, likely talking to the others about Rahdeas' expression.

I suppose I should join them as well.

But as I was about to move from my location, two people caught my eye.

A man with neatly combed black hair and blood-red eyes and a woman with auburn hair and orange eyes that I knew all too well.

Nathan's parents...

My heart clenched at the painful memory of his death, and his regret at not being able to see his family one last time.

I began walking to them but stopped in my tracks.

I shook my head.

I'll... I'll do it later.