Might of the Vritra

'Zeke, I want you to Void Step outside and tell the rest to stay there.'

'What?! Why?!'

'If even I am having this much trouble, the others won't be able to do anything.'

'You need the help.'

'I'll call you when that happens.'

And I meant it, I knew it was only a matter of time before he overwhelms me. But before that happens, I'll be sure of dealing as much damage as I can.

'You'd better.' he grumbled, before heading off.

"Now that we're finally alone, may I ask why you ally yourself with these monkeys?" Zegrath asked.

I looked at him strangely.

Does he really want to make small talk during this?

I decided to humor him, "I suppose I could have stayed out of the war, but then again my family does stay here. So I'm kinda obligated to fight."

"Bah, screw obligations. If you only wanted to keep your family safe you would have entered isolation with them. Anyways that wasn't the nature of my question. I'm asking why you haven't thought of allying with the Vritra?"

Allying with the Vritra...?

Why the hell would I even consider that?

"My benefactors wouldn't like that." I replied, managing to keep my hatred of them under wraps.

"My master has a proposal for you," ignoring what I said, "join us, and your family shall be spared."

"What about the rest?" I asked as if I actually had an interest in his offer.

"They will face their fates. That should be of no consequence to you." He waved away my concern.

I hmm'd, "How 'bout..."

I flashed him a grin, "No?"

"Cheeky little shit!" he muttered, before charging at me, his blades in a whirlwind around him.

I Void Stepped away, far behind him. Fortunately so, since he instantly sliced behind him, expecting me to be there.

I'm not that predictable you know?

I raised my arm, palm pointing towards him, and yellow streaks of lightning exploded from it heading towards the retainer.

He sent back a gout of grey flames in response, as both spells were led to a standstill.

Fine then, two can play at that.

I thought as I imbued the spell with nacht, turning the once yellow thunderbolt into a pitch black one as I increased the output several fold, straining my core.

It worked, my spell began overwhelming his own as I exerted more than his grey flames could consume.

Using this chance as a distraction, I Void Stepped right behind him with the intention of striking while his attention was diverted.

That was a mistake.

He was prepared for me, his other hand behind his back holding his blade as he sliced diagonally across my torso.

Shit!

Thankfully it was shallow enough for Tartarean Vitality to heal.

I summoned Shroud in my hand, imbuing it with nacht-infused lightning and slashing the air, sending off arcs of black thunder towards him.

Seeing that he tried to counter it with grey fireballs, hitting most of them and taking them down. But the ones that did hit, left his skin scorched and his nerves numbed.