𝐢𝐢. second chance at first line

INHERITANCE

chapter two ; second chance at first line
[ season one - episode two ]

chapter two ; second chance at first line[ season one - episode two ]

Her arms wrapped tightly around her, shielding herself from the harsh winter morning. Lacrosse players run to and fro across the field paying no attention to the girl spiraling on the benches. A dull ache remained in her head from a Friday night she could hardly remember, and what part of it she could, didn't quite make sense. 
She tried piecing it together, the many shots waving a fog over every memory. She remembered getting home, mostly anyway, someone, a friend of Scott's, as he had claimed, drove them back home. Though she couldn't quite remember his name. Something with a D, perhaps. Allison had tried to fill in the parts she could, but with her head wrapped up in Scott and his disappearance, she wasn't as useful as she hoped she would be.
That part she did remember. She remembered the look on Scott's face, his discolored skin, and how he ran for the hills, abandoning Allison without a word of explanation. Even now, he failed to explain what had happened, but from what Allison had told her, she was giving him another chance either way. 

She couldn't let it go that easily.

Allison had always been much more trusting. She didn't have the issues that Kinsey had. There were no abandonment issues, trust issues, or mommy issues.  Meanwhile, Scott's act of sudden disappearance felt like deja vu to Kinsey, the memory of being abandoned herself coming back to her. She could remember it like it was yesterday, how there was a calm before the storm. Her mother had been sweet like candy the night before she left, as though it was her final day. In a sense, it was. Her final day of being a present mom in her daughter's life at least. After buttering up her daughter, making it feel like they finally had a good relationship and that things would be going somewhere for them, she upped and left the next day, leaving her with her uncle and aunt for the unforeseeable future.

Maybe that's why she couldn't forgive and forget with Scott like Allison had. She was scared that this time, Allison would be the one who got hurt.

Coach's whistle blew through the air, startling the brunette whose head shot up, practically left in a sweat over the mere thought of her mother. In four years, thinking about it hadn't become any easier. Being left behind was never going to be easy for anyone, but by their own mother, it was bound to stir up some issues.
As much as she loved Chris, Victoria and Allison, it acted as a constant reminder of what a real, normal family should look like. A mother, father, and daughter, living happily. Something she'd never experience. 

"Let's go! One-on-ones from up top. Jackson, take a long stick today." Coach shouted across the field. As told Jackson grabbed one of the sticks that lay at Kinsey's feet while she tried to shake off those thoughts that plagued her mind. She hadn't even heard from Kate since the day of the move.