𝒇𝒐𝒖𝒓 , magic bullet

magic bul

magic bul

A loud thud from downstairs had sounded through the house startling the two teenage girls awake as they jolted upright. Usually neither were particularly light sleepers but they'd barely slept. Bleary-eyed the two looked at each other through the darkness, the only light coming from the small crack in Kinsey's curtains and the alarm clock that sat on her bedside table with its red light piercing through the dark like it always had. 1:58 a.m. Just half an hour after the two decided it was time to go to bed. In just a few hours they'd be up and waiting for Kate to arrive in town for Allison's birthday at 7:00 a.m. as she had planned, the two had planned to be well-rested for her arrival so they could make the most of the time she was here. Nobody knew when the next time she decided to pack up and leave again would be. But, of course, those plans had been foiled by whoever had caused the loud thud from downstairs. Without another thought Kinsey had climbed out of bed, wrapping her arms around her for warmth rather than opting to arm herself with something as defense against who or whatever was downstairs. But who could blame here? She was half asleep and exhausted, if she was asked her own name she'd probably forget that too. And Allison was the same. She had climbed out of the bed mimicking Kinsey's actions as the two stumbled through the hallway. Clearly, their curiosity had overcome their other senses, neither thought about the danger that could be downstairs, especially with the rise in crime in this town lately. They didn't think about the potential burglary that could have been happening downstairs or maybe even a murderer had broken in to kill them all. Usually, all of those would have been possibilities that they thought about, but usually, they had slept for longer than half an hour. Kinsey was barely able to walk in a straight line as she rubbed her eyes trying to stay awake long enough to figure out who had rudely woken her up at this time of the morning. Only owls should be awake at this time. Maybe foxes. But certainly not Kinsey's.

It was when they got to the top of the stairs that they saw an all too familiar sight, one that gave them deja vu of just last week on the day of the move. Chris stood at the front door ready to sneak out with a duffel bag in hand, clearly, he had no intention of waking up anyone, especially the two girls who were bound to question him. Just like they had last week when he bailed on traveling to Beacon Hills with them because he had something to do, that also involved him walking out with a duffel bag. Though that had been at a more acceptable time of day. While Kinsey let out a small, tired groan at the sight of her uncle wondering how she hadn't thought that it could have been him before Allison seemed the more concerned one of the two.

"What's going on?" Allison asked her father hoarsely, her voice barely audible she was so tired. That would be the last time the two of them thought it was acceptable to stay up and watch an entire season of Modern Family when they knew they were supposed to be waking up early to welcome Kate back into town. But they were teenagers. And they made mistakes. All the time.

"Kate just texted. I'm just heading out to pick her up." Chris answered softly careful not to wake the third woman in the house, he knew better than to disrupt the sleep of his wife. Victoria was cranky enough with a full night's sleep Kinsey dread to imagine what she was like with none.