V1: Chapter 1 - A Three-Year Holiday

Akabane Karma POV

After leaving the bus, the four of started walking towards the gym for the entrance ceremony of the Tokyo Metropolitan Advanced Nurturing High School, a school created by the government to develop the future leaders of the country.

Great... changing a prison for another... I thought. But hopefully the next three years wouldn't be so boring. Maybe the outside world does have some interesting things.

"Wait!"

As we went through the school doors someone called to us. I turned and realized the person, a girl with long black hair and red eyes, was addressing Kiyotaka.

"You were looking at me. Why?" she asked facing him.

"Sorry, I guess I was just interested, is all. I mean, you didn't think about giving up your seat to the old woman, did you?"

"That's right. I didn't consider giving it up. Is there something wrong with that?"

"Oh, no, not at all. I didn't intend to give up my seat, either. In fact, I firmly abide by the philosophy of letting sleeping dogs lie. I dislike trouble."

"You dislike trouble? Then I don't think you and I are anything alike. I didn't give up my seat because I thought it would be pointless. That's all."

"That's worse than just not liking trouble, you know?" intervened Mikoto.

"I simply act according to my own beliefs. That's different from someone who just dislikes trouble. I'll be going now; I hope not to meet you again"

With that the girl left, not even looking once at Mikoto. Everyone except for me muttered a low "Likewise". But I didn't feel that way.

If the scene in the bus and the one just now represented to some extent the outside world; these three years would certainly be entertaining. A smirk made its way to my face.

"Is there something the matter, Karma-kun?" asked Nao with a grin on her face.

"Nothing really," I responded simply. "Just thinking these holidays will be pretty entertaining."

"This is not a holiday Karma" replied Mikoto in a reproving tone.

With a move of my hand, I dismissed her comment. Putting aside our current situation, the simple fact of not being in that place could be considered a vacation.

"Anyways, what about having lunch later?" asked Nao.

We all agreed to meet later and decided to head to the entrance ceremony.

How lame... That's how a ceremony is supposed to be? Because if that's the case, then I'm not looking forward to the next one.

I entered my classroom and immediately found my nameplate on the front raw beside the door. Well, at least I'll be able to leave soon, that said, I would have preferred a sit on the back.

I sat, took out the phone they have given us entering the gym and started playing with it. There were some students already here and more were arriving, I had no interest in talking with them, however.

Once all the students were here, we had to wait several minutes after the bell rang for the teacher to arrive. Finally, a woman entered the classroom in a hurry. She threw a bunch of papers and her bag on the desk. She held a cup of coffee on her right hand and seeing her face I could say it was not her first of the day.