V7: Chapter 9 - Sitting in the Sun

Akabane Karma POV

"This brings us to the end of homeroom," Chie said. "I'd like to remind everyone to be on your best behaviour, and to make good use of your time. That will be all."

As Chie left and everyone began standing up and forming groups to leave, I took out my phone. I had some time before my meeting with Ryuuen, so I should be able to prepare everything. Chie finished a few minutes earlier as I requested, so, that was good.

The school building would be deserted; there was no risk of anyone discovering us by accident.

Yuki and Matsuo joined me, their bags on their shoulders.

"Are you sure everything will be okay?" Yuki asked, a doubtful expression on her face.

I showed her my best smirk.

"Why? Worried about me?"

"You wish," she snorted. "I'm worried about the plan. You sure you don't want me guarding the door?"

"Now, Yuki, what would you do in a simple negotiation?" I inquired. "Why don't you accompany Matsuo instead?"

Yuki eyed Matsuo sceptically before turning back to me.

"I'm fine," she huffed, crossing her arms.

"I'm going to assume the reason of your refusal is because you're tired and want to head back to the dorms," Matsuo replied, shaking his head amused by Yuki's attitude.

"You're free, Yuki," I told her. "Enjoy your vacation like the—"

"Ehm... Karma-kun?" To my left, Chihiro's soft voice reached my ears.

I narrowed my eyes looking at her, despite being seatmates, we rarely talked for something more than a good morning, so this was weird.

"Yes?"

"Uhm... Well... You see... I don't know if you've heard about it but... the whole class is going to have a dinner at Il giardino delle parole for New Year's and—"

"Oh, yeah, I've heard about it," I decided to interrupt her. "Nice restaurant. Sadly, I won't be able to join you, have plans already."

That was a lie, but it was better to refuse immediately. Judging by Mako's glare, she would fume if I ever showed up at the restaurant...

Maybe I should show up by surprise...

"I-I see... Well, just know that you're welcome, Karma-kun," Chihiro said. "You're part of the class as well, so... It'd feel weird if you're the only one missing."

I gave a nod and said I may pass by to say hello or something. Satisfied with that, Chihiro left accompanied by Mako, Ichinose and their friends.

"You should get going, Matsuo," I told him as the classroom continued to empty. "You don't want to make Mikoto wait, do you?"

Matsuo sighed, bid his farewells to Yuki and me and left. I stood up and quickly packed the few things I had on my desk. Then, I approached the podium where Chie had left a few keys.

"Don't forget to close the door, huh?" I smiled taking the keys. "What?" I asked seeing Yuki's face.

"Nothing," she sighed in defeat and began heading towards the door. "Break a leg, I guess..."