SS19: Sakayanagi Arisu - Genius

After dinner, I decided to head back to the room before Masumi-san and the others when I stumbled upon something which caused me to fall onto the floor.

"Oh~! Arisu-chan! Hello, we haven't talked in a while," an energetic voice I failed to recognise at first was heard.

Then, I raised my head to find myself in front of Chikujoin-san. The very person I wanted to talk to.

A few minutes ago, she and Nao-san caused quite the scene in the cafeteria during dinner. I doubted anyone besides those sharing the table with the two of them heard what they talked about. Nevertheless, the bad blood between the two had been apparent.

"Good evening, Chikujoin-san," I greeted, raising my hand so that she helped me stand up once again.

To my surprise, however, she took a finger to her chin and cocked her head as if she were unable to understand why I wished. A second later, she approached her hand, and I was ready for the pull that would get me on my feet again.

It didn't come.

Instead, Chikujoin-san gave me a high-five and jumped happily, ready to leave.

"I believe those on the blame have a duty to apologise and help those they knocked over," I declared, stopping Chikujoin-san on her tracks, as she looked at me.

"On the blame?"

I tried to get up myself. But because of my disability, this trivial act was transformed into a challenge of its own. I grabbed my cane, which lay on the ground next to me. Then, leaning against the wall, I slowly got back up. It didn't last long, but with all the people staring at me with that mix of pity and fearfulness in their eyes, it felt like the universe could die and be reborn again and I would still be here.

"Yes, Chikujoin-san," I finally stated, approaching the purpled-haired girl. "On the blame. It was your fault if I fell, after all."

A mischievous grin appeared on her face as her eyes began to glitter. "Oh, but you are quite all right, Arisu-chan. There's still some time left before you fall~"

I gritted my teeth as I tried to remind myself every piece of information Nao-san had collected on the girl facing me at this very moment.

"You know, Chikujoin-san. I failed to hear your conversation with Nao-san earlier, but she seemed rather angry. Something you said, perhaps?"

She brushed it off with a wave of her hand.

"Oh, nothing really, you know how people get when you touch a nerve~"

"I see, in that case, don't do it again..." I trailed off, giving her the gentlest smile, I could muster.

"Your request will be taken into consideration," she replied, gesturing to leave.

"I believe you misheard me, Chikujoin-san. I wasn't requesting anything." I declared. "I need Nao-san to not be distracted by... secondary things."

Her smile grew and she took a step closer to me. Some of those around us began to whisper.

"Secondary things? My, my, aren't you snooty?"

"Do you disagree?"

"I wonder..." she began to walk around me. "It might be a mistake to discard me just like that."

A self-important girl that only do things for her own amusement, no matter how twisted they are and that was only good enough to be Misaka Mikoto-san's second?