V9: Chapter 9 - Goodbye

Tomori Nao POV

Everyone in Class A calmly waited for the results to be announced on Saturday. The question of who was going to be expelled had been settled, the announcement was supposed to be but a formality. When the bell rang, signalling that the poll results were going to be announced, Mashima-sensei strode into the classroom.

He was calm and collected, as always. No matter what lay ahead today, it seemed he wasn't thinking too hard about it—or rather, that he was trying not to think about it. This was his fourth year teaching at the Advanced Nurturing High School. He had seen many students get expelled.

"I will now announce the results of the supplementary special exam. First, the student with the most praise votes is...Sakayanagi. You've come in first place, with thirty-six votes," said Mashima-sensei.

"I never imagined that you would all pick me. Thank you very much," said Sakayanagi diplomatically, paying the class an empty compliment for politeness' sake. She had gotten praise votes from almost every single person in class.

"Next... I'll announce the student who had received the most criticism votes in class. I'm sure that you're already aware of this, but the student whose name is called will be expelled. Afterward, that student will be asked to pack their things and come with me to the faculty lounge."

There was no commotion whatsoever. No one made the slightest sound. The students of Class A just quietly, solemnly waited for the name of the student who would be expelled.

"The student in last place, with the most criticism votes, a total of thirty-six, is..."

There was a brief moment of silence. And then...

"Totsuka Yahiko."

A name was called. The name that Mashima-sensei spoke clearly reverberated throughout the dead-silent classroom.

"This is ridiculous! What is the meaning of this?!" shouted Katsuragi immediately, raising his voice and standing up from his seat.

"K-Katsuragi-san... Wh-Why...?"

Yahiko looked at Katsuragi in complete disbelief. Almost everyone in the class had given him a criticism vote, which ensured his expulsion.

Mashima-sensei went on to announce how many praise, and criticism votes the rest of the students in class had received. Katsuragi counted thirty-six criticism votes, but he had four praise votes as well, and that nullified four criticism votes. Then, there was me with thirty-five criticism votes and ten praise votes, which meant that I had received at least five praise votes from the other classes... At least, it was nice to know that, even without the cautionary measure Sakayanagi sought through her meeting with the other leaders and I through Chiaki, I wouldn't have been expelled.

"What is the meaning of this, sensei? I'm the one who should have been expelled, or at the very least Tomori, not—"

"The results are correct," answered Mashima-sensei calmly.

Ryouko opened her mouth to speak, as if she were trying to explain how such an incomprehensible situation had come about.

"Katsuragi-kun, it would seem you got some praise votes. I'm so glad."

When Katsuragi heard that, he understood what had happened. This wasn't some kind of slip-up. This was exactly as planned.

"Wait, Sakayanagi! Wasn't I the one who was supposed to have been expelled?!" shouted Katsuragi.