SS14: Sakura Airi - The Will to Grow

"No! Kiyopon, you accompany Airi-chan back to the dorms," Haruka-chan requested.

"Shouldn't we all accompany you to the mall?" Kiyotaka-kun asked her a bit puzzled.

"No. Airi-chan's feeling unwell, accompany her."

"... Right, we'll see what Haruka needs. Don't worry, Kiyotaka," Akito-kun intervened, probably understanding that Haruka-chan wanted to go to the karaoke to reserve the room for Kiyotaka-kun's birthday.

Not giving Kiyotaka-kun any chance to reply, Akito-kun, Haruka-chan and Yukimura-kun stormed in the direction of Keyaki Mall.

"Is it okay to leave them?" Kiyotaka-kun asked me.

"Eh? Uhm. Yeah, don't worry, Kiyotaka-kun. Haruka-chan just wanted to do something after classes."

I couldn't tell him about it. It was supposed to be a surprise after all.

"I see... Shall we go back?" he asked.

I gave a slight nod and resumed our walk towards the dorms. I felt a bit embarrassed since Kiyotaka-kun and I rarely found ourselves alone like this.

"You've got a great idea, back there," he spoke probably referring to my idea during the negotiations with Ichinose-san.

"It's nothing, Kiyotaka-kun," I dismissed his comment as I shook my head slightly. "I'm sure you or Ichinose-san would have thought about it."

"Maybe. But that doesn't erase the fact that you were the first one to think about it," he replied. "... How you've been?"

"Uhm? Fine, I guess," I replied a little unsure. What was with that sudden question?

"That's not what I meant, Airi. How's your life in school?"

I met Kiyotaka-kun's eyes for a second but instantly looked towards the floor. I couldn't meet his gaze without feeling embarrassed yet.

"My life in the school? ...Well, I'd say I enjoy it," I began saying softly. "I have friends, and not only in Class D. It's fun to hang out with Hiyori-san and Mio-san and with Yoshi-kun as well, his back-and-forth's with Haruka-chan are quite entertaining to watch. And Haruka-chan and Akito-kun have always been kind to me. Without mentioning, Kiyotaka-kun..."

I couldn't avoid a smile from forming in my face as I spoke my true thoughts. I had come to this school to escape all that pressure of being a gravure idol. It had become more than I could manage, and I thought here I would be safe with no one that could recognise me.

Start anew.

And yet, because of my shyness, I failed to make friends and became a loner, sneaking every now and then to take pictures with my camera.

And just as I thought that my three years here would be exactly like that, Sudou-kun's trial happened.

I met Kiyotaka-kun and he introduced me to some of his friends. Haruka-chan and Akito-kun welcomed me into their group and slowly our group expanded to people from other classes like Yoshi-kun, Hiyori-san and Mio-san. It was the same with Matsuo-kun with whom we usually shared lunches at the cafeteria.

It all became easier thanks to them, and I could be more confident with myself. Although, I was still working on that.

"And no one has bothered you?"