V3: Chapter 5 - Roaming Around

Matsushita Chiaki POV

Coming out of the tent I resolved myself to have a productive day. Yesterday hadn't been easy and our class had entered several debates that we had managed to resolve.

It was still early so only a handful of my classmates were awake. Ike-kun was one of those, apparently, he had woken up early and gotten to work. Shinohara-san was standing next to him. That was weird, I would have thought Shinohara-san would be among the last ones to wake.

Deciding to leave them alone I went over the river to wash my face. I took the necessary and left, hoping no one was there yet.

Unfortunately, some people were already there. Two of them were Ayanokouji-kun and Hirata-kun, but what surprised me were the two that accompanied them.

I thought about hiding and eavesdropping for a moment but opted for revealing myself.

"Good morning, Ayanokouji-kun, Hirata-kun, is everything okay?"

"Oh, Matsushita-san, good morning! Yes, everything's fine. We just came across Kanzaki-kun and Kocho-san while going to the river."

I nodded in understanding and addressed a smile to the two Class B students.

"I understand, it's a pleasure Kanzaki-kun, Kocho-san, but if you don't mind me asking, what are you doing here?"

"They're not here to cause problems, Matsushita-san. It seems like Karma-kun send them to explore the other classes camps."

"Indeed. I apologize if we give you a bad surprise. We only came here to scout. You are the other Class D leader, right?"

"He he, I suppose you could call me that, but in truth our class doesn't have an established leader. It's more like several of our share the post. I think is something similar with you?" I asked them, as far as I knew, Class B had five leaders on equal or almost equal foot.

"That's not the case any longer, Matsushita-san. We've all recognized Karma-kun as our leader. The rest of us just support him," Kocho-san spoke in a friendly manner.

"I see, and—"

"It's okay Matsushita-san," Hirata-kun said. "They already told us where their camp was."

"Oh, I'm sorry then, I didn't mean to be disruptive."

"No need to apologize, Matsushita-san. We understand, right Ryuji-kun?"

"Yes, know, if you'll excuse us, we have to continue our scouting."

With those words Kanzaki-kun and Kocho-san left.

"It seems you get a long quite well with Class B's leaders, Ayanokouji-kun," Hirata-kun affirmed.

Ayanokouji-kun eyed him suspiciously.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Oh, no, nothing, I was just saying that—I mean I—" he sighed in defeat. "I'm sorry Ayanokouji-kun, it wasn't my intention to hint anything."

"... It's okay, I was just railing you."

Hirata-kun giggled.

Even if we were allies with Class B, I wasn't really pleased with people from other classes coming to our camp and do their reconnaissance. I understood why they would do it; it just wasn't pleasant having people show up to see what you were up to.

Regarding our camp, I was satisfied enough with how we were doing. We had spent quite a lot in toilets, showers, and the tents, but it was a necessary spend. Koenji-kun retiring really hurt in that aspect since we lost thirty points like that.