V5: Chapter 11 - Three-Legged Race

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka POV

"Damn, those guys in Class C are strong," Sudou complained.

Despite giving our all, Class C had won the four-way-tug-of-war. This victory should give them an impulse on the ranking, but we couldn't help it.

Yousuke and Katsuragi had decided that we wouldn't help each other since that would mean that one of us would give up on the possibility of gaining points.

"Sorry, I should have done better," I apologised to Sudou.

"Eh?"

He made a confused sound before chuckling and hitting my back with his hand amicably.

"Don't worry, Ayanokouji. It's a team effort. I should have done better as well. Besides, we just have to do well on the last two events, and we'll win this thing. All in all, we'd done great until now," he affirmed and left me to go prepare for the race.

Sudou had been particularly understanding and chill on this festival... At least when compared to his usual self. He also appeared to have a new found respect for me. So, I suppose showing my physical abilities had its advantages.

The only competitions that remained were the mixed-gender three-legged race and the last event, the 1200-meter relay. The former was about to begin.

Sudou and Horikita who were going to represent Class D. Sudou appeared to have a slight blush as Horikita was tying their legs together. Nishikawa and Hayato were going for Class A, Mikoto and Ishizaki for Class C and Kocho and Karma for Class B.

"It's curious how they're so calm after what Karma-kun did earlier," Chiaki said joining me on the stands.

"Perhaps they do like each other," I suggested.

I didn't really think that, though. Karma just saw an opportunity to have fun and seized it.

Everyone was whispering and pointing at the both of them. They looked completely unfazed by  it... if you ruled out the fact that Karma was smirking, of course.

"You think? I wouldn't have thought they would have that type of relationship," Chiaki said.

"Wait Chiaki. You're really thinking they like each other?" I asked her a little baffled.

I thought Chiaki would see through the act. She could understand Karma, after all... At least a bit.

"Huh? Well, I mean, Karma-kun did try to k-kiss Kocho-san..." she stated while blushing.

"I suppose you're right," I simply added.

She looked at me as if expecting me to add something else.

"Is something wrong, Chiaki?" I inquired as the race began.

Even more flustered, she immediately looked away and denied repeatedly, saying everything was perfect.

Mikoto quickly took the first place, it looked as if she was dragging Ishizaki rather than working alongside him. Class B's pair and ours were evenly matched but it was obvious to me that Karma wasn't been very cooperative. If you considered the way Karma was "running" with his hand on Kocho's waist and you forgot this was a sports festival event, it wouldn't be hard to think they were a couple strolling around the park. Class A was dead last, but they weren't making any effort on catching-up to the others.