V4: Chapter 8 - Snake Group's Gaming Session

Hashimoto Masayoshi POV

I entered the Snake room just as the announcement that marked the beginning of the third group discussion was heard.

I'm really playing with fire there.

Everyone was already here, Nishikawa addressed me a smug smile because of my time of arrival. I returned the smile to her and sat at the only available seat which was between Nishikawa and the Class C guy Yamada.

"Is everything okay, Hashimoto-kun? I was a bit worried," Kushida spoke, showing concern for me.

"Don't worry, Kushida. I just took a detour for this," I said waving a deck of cards so everyone could see it.

"Do you really expect us to play a game?" Kanzaki questioned immediately. "We're not here for that, Hashimoto."

"Chill out, Kanzaki. I just thought that playing would help to dissipate the hostile atmosphere of our last meeting," I replied.

"And who's responsible for that atmosphere," he questioned again.

"I think it's a great idea, Hashimoto-kun," Nishikawa stated.

"Of course, you do. You're his classmate after all."

"I also think that it's a good idea. A game would certainly help us get along better," Shiina intervened.

"I agree with Shiina-san, Kanzaki-kun. You should be more open to ideas," Amikura reprimanded him.

"I say we can make a decision after hearing what game you propose, Hashimoto," Kaneda commented.

I hadn't expected Kaneda to be amongst those who supported my initiative but that certainly makes things easier.

"I propose a tournament of kemps."

"Kemps?" Kushida tilted her head.

"Eh? You don't know what's kemps, Kushida-san," Nishikawa asked her.

Kushida shook her head, and just as Nishikawa was going to begin explaining the game to her, Kanzaki spoke again.

"Kemps is a game of four players, Hashimoto. Could you clarify how we're suppose to play it? We're thirteen."

"Exactly. We're thirteen. We could make six teams of two and three matches. The three winners and the loser that won the most points go to a semi-final. The team that wins the final gets a prize."

"What kind of prize?" Miyake asked, he didn't seem eager to play. "And your mathematics aren't right, there's one person left. There also would be a team with two students from different classes."

I smirked.

"No. My mathematics are absolutely right. The thirteenth player is me. I'll be the dealer of the game and ensure its good development. If everyone agrees the prize will be 17,000 points. Each one of you will bet a thousand points and I, as the dealer, will put 5,000 from my own pocket. As for the team question, I think the most rational decision would be for you and Kanzaki to team up, Miyake."

I finished my little speech putting a thoughtful expression.

"Why us?" Miyake asked.

"Well, I just thought it was better to leave the girls from your classes team up," I shrugged, "but you can do as you please," I turned to address everyone. "So, what do you say?"