V4: Chapter 6 - Apologies

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka POV

A few moments after Sakura left the deck, Chikujoin Magane revealed herself. She had been tailing me since I left the first deck to come here to the bow. At first, it appeared that she wanted to approach me, but then began stalking me, probably to see what I was going to do.

She jumped on the railing and sat on it.

"It's a magnificent view, right? Kiyotaka-kun~?"

She turned to me with a sly smile.

"You don't seem to care about the view, though."

"Ohh? That's rude, Kiyo~kun," she took a hand to her chest. "I may not seem like it Kiyotaka-kun, but as a young maiden I'm bound to like such a romantic view. Come on, appreciate it for a second."

I sighed but complied. It certainly was an impressive view. The ocean got lost on the horizon and the sound of the waves along with the calming breeze gave off a peaceful atmosphere. If someone as troublesome as Chikujoin wasn't by my side, that is.

She took a deep breath and then exhaled.

"Now. How about we get down to business, Kiyo-kun?"

"I have no business to talk with you."

"Oh, don't be like that. It's not like I'm asking you to work with me."

"But that's what you're going to do..."

"Hmm. In a way, I suppose. But you know. I'm not forcing you. I firmly believe that people should live freestyle, or else they won't become happy!" she commented as she waved her hands in front of her. "I just want you to listen to what I have to say."

I sighed again, laid back against the railing and raised my head to look at the sky. It was completely clear, no clouds in sight.

"I'm listening."

"You're gonna change the outcome of this exam, Kiyo-kun. Oh, don't worry, I'll give you all the information you need. If you accept that is."

"And why would I do that?"

"My, my, impatient, aren't we? Hmm, I suppose saying for the sake of fun won't do, will it?" She jumped off the railing and turned to me after landing. "You just have to think positively, Ki-yo-ta-ka-kun. You want peace, I want fun. Neither of us likes the way the cards have been stacked. So, let's reshuffle the deck. That way we all can have what we want, right?"

"I'm sorry but I fail to see how doing that would give me my peace back," I shrugged.

"It's pandora's box, Kiyo-kun! A second victory for Class D would give you more leverage. Your leadership of Class D would be entirely cemented. Then you'll be able to do what any normal person would do after handling the amount of pressure your little classmates think you're handling."

"And that is?"

"Relax! Have a holiday. Enter retirement. Leave the burden to someone else," she made a full turn. "You could even make it look like a succession. A new victory for Class D, and abracadabra! The trick would be set... Now, Kiyo-kun, what do you say?"

She finished slowly with an amused smile on her face.

On the surface she certainly had a point. The problem with her reasoning was that winning this exam would just draw more attention to me and I couldn't predict what Sakayanagi's reaction would be. She was smart enough to know that, of course. Only, for Chikujoin, it wasn't worth the mention.