SS8: Miyake Akito - What We Deserve

I left the Snake room alongside Sato and Kushida.

We had spent the whole hour playing the game proposed by Hashimoto: Kemps. I had to admit that it was quite amusing, although I couldn't say we had played for the sake of having a good time.

Everyone, including me, had been on alert analysing as much as possible the behaviour of others, how they hide their game, how they analyse one another, how they react to results. Everything that could give away even the slightest hint about the VIPs identity.

I had no idea who it was but if I had to guess it under the normal circumstances, I would say it was either Kanzaki or someone from Class C.

"—Miyake-kun?" Kushida's voice took me out of my reverie.

"Huh?"

Sato and her giggled.

"You weren't listening, were you, Miyake-kun?" Sato asked.

"Heh, I'm sorry, I was lost in thought."

"It's okay, Miyake-kun," Kushida assured me. "We were just talking about the game. You did great."

"Well, all the credit should go to Kanzaki."

"Hmm, it's true that having a good partner can be decisive in this game."

"Ehhh? But Kushida-san I did my best!" Sato protested.

"Hehe, sorry, sorry, Sato-san, I was referring to me," Kushida apologized.

"Don't say that either, Kushida-san. I'm sure you did your best as well."

Kushida scratched her cheek with a bitter smile but didn't say anything.

After waiting for over five minutes, we finally could enter the elevator, I pressed the button to go to the main deck.

"And what do we do now?" Sato inquired.

"We can go to the shopping area," Kushida proposed. "Ryoko-chan and the girls were going there, we could join them."

"Hmm, that's a good idea. Would you like to come, Miyake-kun?"

"Uhmm..."

I had no idea how to answer, it would be a bit overwhelming if I was the only boy, and up until now I had barely spoken to Sato and Kushida. So, to go with them and their group of friends all of a sudden...

"It's okay, Miyake-kun, I'm sure Hirata-kun's there."

That wasn't exactly reassuring, Hirata was a good guy and we have talked before, but we weren't what you could call close. I was far closer with guys like Makida and Kikuchi, even if Kiyotaka remained my closest friend.

"I would like to do something first," I told them.

"And what's that?" Kushida inquired.

"I would like to speak with Kiyotaka."

"Oh! That's a great idea, Miyake-kun," Kushida mentioned clapping her hands. "We could ask him for advice regarding our group."

My idea was to just talk to him as friends and see if he had plans for the afternoon. I wasn't comfortable with bothering him with our group's problems.