V8: Chapter 15 - Exam

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka POV

It was the final day of camp, the day when our groups would be ranked according to the special exam.

During this last week, the twenty-six or so small groups had passed time in their own unique ways. Some groups had gotten to know one another better and worked well together. Others were on the verge of collapse. Others had completed their daily tasks with indifference, growing neither closer nor further apart.

Our group had grown significantly closer to one another by the end. I mean, we weren't perfect. At best, we were a ragtag lot. This was a temporary alliance—come tomorrow, we'd be enemies again. There was a certain sense of sadness at the thought of our group activities coming to an end.

"For the time being, we've done all we can. No matter what the outcome, we have no regrets."

"I think so too. Thanks for being our representative, Yukimura."

Ishizaki and Yukimura shook hands.

"No matter what happens, let's give it our all."

"Let's do it."

The other guys complimented each other and shook on it. Afterward, we headed to our assigned classroom. There was nothing to worry about as far as group unity.

The second- and third years from our large group had already arrived, so we hurried to our seats in a bit of a panic just as the chime sounded. The teacher entered and began to explain the contents of the exam.

Even though we'd gathered in our large group, the exam would be administered to the small groups by grade level. The large groups would affect the overall ranking when the scores were tallied. No matter how vast the camp grounds, if everyone tried doing all the same activities at the same time, we'd be crammed in together.

The four sections of the exam were as expected. They included Zen, Speech, Long-Distance Relay Race, and Written Exam.

We first-year students would begin with zazen. Then we headed to the next classroom for our written exam. We'd follow that up with the long-distance relay race and, finally, we'd give our speeches.

The second years had a higher hurdle to jump right out of the gate, since they were starting with the long-distance relay.

The third years, apparently, were beginning with speeches.

After we finished breakfast, we headed to the zazen dojo.

We were exempted from cleaning this morning. The exam began as soon as all of the first-year guys had gathered.

"Without further ado, we will begin. There are two criteria in determining your scores: your manners and posture upon entering this dojo, and the presence or absence of any disorder during zazen. After you've finished, you will stand by in your assigned classrooms until you are given instructions for your next exam. Starting now, I will call out names. Students whose names have been called will line up and begin taking the test. Class A, Katsuragi Kouhei. Class D, Ishizaki Daichi—"

The instructor continued to read names aloud. After Katsuragi came Ishizaki. That was an unexpected development. The crowd murmured its surprise.

"Hurry up, Ishizaki. Next, first-year Class B, Beppu Ryouta."

Confused, Ishizaki got in line, panicking slightly.

"Is this a different order than usual?"