V8: Prologue - That Would Never Happen

FLASHBACK

Akabane Karma POV

"Okay," Nao shuffled the deck one last time. "Who's playing?"

All of us, except Kiyotaka, confirmed we would be playing once again.

While he was at the end of the room, seating on the armchair, calmly reading his book. The rest of us were seating on the floor around the centre table ready to play Twenty-One or Blackjack.

Nao, in front of me would be the dealer and held the poker set. She began distributing the chips to Mikoto at my right, Tsukasa at my left and me, in the centre.

Currently, we were in one of the many rooms the Ayanokouji Household had. We'd been here for almost a year, and I still had trouble concealing the fact that I was living here.

Matsuo-sensei, our caretaker or butler, assured our education, giving us classes and having established a planning for all of us to follow. He was the only person taking care of us, so, the first thing I checked when I arrived were the possibilities of escape. Naturally, I quickly crossed that option, the perimeter outside of the main household was heavily secured, with tons of cameras and guards patrolling around the place.

Somehow, Matsuo-sensei discovered my doings and instead of scolding me or giving me some kind of punishment, he simply placed a hand on my shoulder and told me to never do it again with that gentle smile of his.

I never tried to find a way out again.

So, I followed the planning I had been given. Studies, exercise, and some housework like cleaning and gardening, which was pretty annoying.

We placed our bets for the first round, and Nao distributed all the cards. She asked Mikoto if she wanted another card, seeing her six and ten of hearts, Mikoto replied with a yes. Nao turned the next one revealing a jack of clubs, indicating Mikoto busted as her total represented more than twenty-one.

Nao turned in my direction; I looked at my ace of diamonds and eight of spades. I decided to stick to those cards which represented a total of nineteen.

Tsukasa split his pair of twos and asked for more cards. Nao first gave him a seven of clubs, then a king of hearts, which raised one of his games up to nineteen. On his second game, he received a nine of spades, then, a queen of hearts for a total of twenty one.

Nao, on her own game, turned her second card which was upside down to reveal an ace of spades that added to her nine of diamonds.

Tsukasa being the winner, received the chips he gained from Nao, and we moved on to another round.

"You know, it's quite nice to have time to play and don't worry about excelling," Nao commented casually as she distributed the cards.

"I don't like it," I replied. "I have too much free time."

"Then why don't you do my chores?" Nao offered. "I won't even ask for anything in exchange."

"How generous," I blew.

I looked at both my cards, a queen of hearts and a jack of clubs, it wasn't a bad game.

Mikoto busted and I stood with my cards once again.

"And we'll have even more time now, that we go to that school," Mikoto stated.

Tsukasa added a four to his two cards, bringing his total up to eighteen. Nao's game stopped at twenty. So, while I recovered my bet, Tsukasa lost.