V4: Chapter 1 - Summer Vacation

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka POV

I mixed the four types of jam that we had at our table. I was curious of the taste the four jams combined would have.

Just as I was about to eat it, I noticed the three inquisitive expressions my companions had.

"Is there something wrong?" I asked not understanding why they looked at me like that.

"You really mixed the four jams?" Mikoto asked first.

"... Yeah, I wanted to try it out. See what it tastes like."

"Hmm... that's actually a great idea, Kiyotaka!" Nao exclaimed after thinking about it for a second.

She then took a slice of bread and did the same as me. An excited expression on her face.

Karma sighed.

"You're hopeless..."

We had come to one of the cafés on the main deck of the cruise ship. I had proposed to have breakfast together and since Nao wanted to have breakfast here for some reason, we followed her. At the end, I had simply gotten bread and several kinds of jam to eat with, while Nao and Karma asked for pancakes. Mikoto had asked for bacon and eggs.

"Ohhhh! I know Mikoto! What if we mixed your cranberry sauce smoothie with my apple juice? Do you think we'll be able to differentiate both, or one will be stronger or—"

"And what are you going to do next? Mix the coffee and the chocolate? Dilute the coffee in water?" Karma asked mockingly.

I tilted my head; those weren't bad ideas at all. Instead of saying that, however, I just shrugged and tasted my bread with mixed jam.

Not exactly what I expected... I don't know what I expected, though. Hmm. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. I was going to drink a bit of my water, but my glass wasn't there. Looking at my left I saw Nao mixing my glass of water with her cup of coffee.

"You could have asked the waiter for water..."

"Huh?"

She looked at my direction and then smiled sweetly.

"Yours was already here," she tasted her coffee. "Hmmm, I think I put too much water... Karma can you give me your chocolate?"

"No. I'm drinking it and stop with that."

"Hee-hee."

"Anyways..." Mikoto began. "Why did you ask us to meet Kiyo?"

All eyes turned to me, Karma taking a more serious stance just like the one Mikoto had while Nao just stared at me, her eyes full of curiosity.

"What?" I asked. "Can't I just want to spend some time with my friends?"

The island exam had ended three days ago, and we hadn't talk at all. Even if nothing had happened, I was a little concerned as to how the relationship between Mikoto and Karma was evolving.

Following the test all students had been enjoying the respite and going around the ship not wanting to waste their summer vacation. The luxurious cruise really felt like a dream after all. These past few days had actually turned out to be very pleasant and relaxing. It wouldn't have been strange to fall in love here. According to Haruka, many couples had come together on this trip.