V10.5: Chapter 2 - A Call

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka POV

When the graduation ceremony had ended, the current students were the first to leave the gymnasium, returning to our classrooms. The graduates, all the teachers, and the graduates' parents or legal guardians, meanwhile, would be off to attend a party. Apparently, it was some kind of get-together meant for the graduating students and their guardians to show the teachers their appreciation.

The remaining students were permitted to return to their dorms. However, it seemed that those who were close to third-years, whether because they were friends or because they'd been in clubs together, planned to wait for the graduates to emerge after the party. Maybe they planned to give a third-year flowers, or confess a crush to them, or tell them something entirely different. Some students were excited, while others were quiet and nervous.

"Well, even though we can talk about this during the closing ceremony tomorrow, let's briefly recap this past semester," said Chabashira shortly after everyone was seated, turning to look at us. "First of all, I must congratulate you for your effort during your final exam of the semester. Your efforts all throughout the year were admirable."

Even though we'd lost, the normally sharp-tongued Chabashira was offering us genuine praise.

"You've changed significantly since last year, when you first started attending this school; I hardly recognize you now. You've really grown so much."

"Hold up, sensei. We're back to being Class D again though, right? Isn't that, y'know, super uncool?" said Ike, his voice filled with frustration.

"Yes, it certainly seems like we've been sent back to square one. But you've definitely all grown this past year. More than simply closing the gap in class points, you could very well say that you've gotten closer to the other classes in terms of ability," said Chabashira.

"Okay, the fact that you're complimentin' us this much actually kinda freaks me out. There's gotta be somethin' to this, right, sensei?" said Sudou. It was completely understandable why he'd react that way to our instructor praising us. Honestly, we wouldn't be surprised if she then went on to say we had another exam or something.

"No, there isn't. This is simply what I think, is all. I've been a teacher for four years now, and I've been in charge of two classes. Compared to the previous Class Ds I've taught, you really are a cut above. However, the same could be said of the other classes. Whether or not you can climb the ranks will depend on your ability to keep putting in a certain level of effort from here, without getting sloppy."

Tak! Chabashira lightly knocked against the blackboard.

"Tomorrow is the closing ceremony. Even though there are no classes tomorrow, please don't forget that it is still a school day."

Having said her piece, she dismissed us. I had no idea how many students would be heading out to wait for the third-years, but I was wondering what my desk neighbour was going to do—the little sister of the guy who'd served as student council president and delivered a speech as Class A's representative, earlier.

Suzune stared intently at the blackboard, looking frozen in place. I was sure there were a lot of thoughts running through her head. Even though bothering her right now felt like kicking the hornet's nest, I figured I'd try her anyway.

"You heading out?" I asked.

"To do what?" she replied.

"Come on, you know what I'm talking about."

"Are you asking if I'm going to go see my brother? If so, then no, I don't plan on it," said Suzune, averting her eyes from me as she spoke.

So, she wasn't planning to go...