V1: Chapter 9 - Midterm Exams

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka POV

Tomorrow, the midterm would finally be upon us. Class had ended for the day. After Chabashira-sensei ended the homeroom period and left the classroom, Matsushita immediately leapt into action.

She took out printed copies of the old test that we've made at the convenience store and brought them up to the podium.

"Everyone, before you all go to your activities, would you mind listening to me for a moment, I have something important to tell you?"

Everyone, including Koenji, stopped and listened to Matsushita. I didn't expect everyone to stay and listen, but I suppose human curiosity cannot be underestimated.

"I know that you've all been studying a lot in preparation for the test tomorrow. But I have something to help you."

She distributed the old test sheets to the students in the first row and they began handing them over to the others.

"Test... questions? Did you make these, Matsushita-san?" Horikita was visibly surprised by this sudden turn of events.

"Actually, I got them from a third-year student. These are the old test problems. It's likely that these questions will be on tomorrow's test."

"Seriously? That's great Matsushita-san! Thank you!" Okitani exclaimed.

Ike was hugging his test paper overjoyed. My other classmates had similar expressions on their faces.

"What the hell? If we had these, then wasn't it pointless to study so hard?"

Looks like I was right...

"It's nothing really Okitani-kun... Besides, this wasn't my idea but Ayanokouji-kun's..." she said scratching her cheek embarrassed.

In the blink of an eye, I became the centre of attention.

Matsushita you were supposed to not say anything...

"Thank you very much, Ayanokouji-kun," Hirata was the first one to speak up, a smile on his face. "Your idea will certainly be of great help!"

My classmates thanked me after Hirata's words, although some of them reluctantly. Miyake addressed me a thumbs up while Horikita sent me a cold glare. She was probably angry for not being included. I didn't miss Koenji grinning at me nor Matsushita's innocent smile... Acting as if she hadn't just sold me out.

"It's nothing. I just had the idea; Matsushita was the one who went on to get the tests."

"Either way Ayanoukoji-kun, the idea didn't even cross my mind. So, please accept our thanks," Hirata replied still praising my initiative.

Not wanting to carry on with this I just nodded.

Most of my classmates took their test paper happily, Koenji was the only one to refuse it. Eventually, agreeing to not share this information with the other classes, everyone returned to the dorms with high spirits.

Horikita took her test paper and left. Visibly upset for not coming up with the idea.

I walked with Matsushita back to the dorms.

"It seems you were right about not giving the tests earlier."

"It seems so."

"It's good to see the last weeks we spent studying weren't for nothing."

That was a good point. The past two-three weeks had probably been tremendously long for the failing students. Hopefully, they'd gotten more into the habit of studying now.