V8: Chapter 3 - Dinner

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka POV

"This seems... a lot older than I thought it would be."

The small groups were shown to their dorm rooms, each of which had wooden bunk beds matching the number of people in the group. Ishizaki immediately walked to the bed at the back of the room and climbed to the top bunk.

"This one's mine."

Komiya and Kondo instantly ran towards the bunk bed in front of Ishizaki to obtain the top bunk. Komiya won and Kondo had to content himself with the one below.

"I think we should discuss who gets which bed."

Yukimura, who had been given the role of representative by Yousuke and Matoba, tried to put some order. However, he was completely ignored as everyone started to call dibs on beds. Everyone seemed united in their preference for a top bunk, save Albert, the only heavyset person here, who settled into the bunk beneath Ishizaki without any complaints.

Discussion seemed pointless.

"Hmm... At least you tried," Akito commented, joining me and Yukimura after securing a top bunk.

Yukimura sighed. "Even my classmates ignore me."

"No need to fret, dude," Ikkei from Class A told Yukimura. "We don't really expect you to be the leader."

Yukimura sighed again and took the bunk beneath Satonaka from Class A. I settled on a bottom bunk beneath Yoshi. Since our group was composed of fifteen students, five from each class except Class B, we had an additional normal bed. Ryuuen was the one who took it, separating himself from the group.

"You think it's true?"

"Hmm?"

"That Ishizaki and the others betrayed Ryuuen and joined Kaneda," Yoshi said. "There's got to be more to it, right? I've heard other versions of the story as well..."

He probably wanted to see if I knew something and took the opportunity when he saw me look at Ryuuen who was now lying on his bed, reading a book. The rumours of Karma being related to it somehow were quite prominent.

"Ishizaki betrayed him. That's the only version."

I decided to give Yoshi a little something to keep his curiosity satisfied. If he tried to get more information, he would ask someone else.

"Yo, Hashimoto! We're going outside. You coming?" Ikkei asked Yoshi as the Class A students waited at the door.

"Yeah, sure. See you later, Kiyo," Yoshi said and gave me a tap on the shoulder.

We were now free for the rest of the day and, as such, abandoned all pretence of group unity to just do whatever we wanted. Albert, Ishizaki, Kondo and Komiya also left to do whatever, and I joined my classmates Yukimura, Kikuchi, Akito, and Minami before leaving Ryuuen alone in the the room as he calmly read his book.

Finally, it was mealtime. The first time we'd seen the girls since getting off the bus that morning.

The cafeteria was quite spacious, so much so that it even had stairs to a second floor with a view of the first. From what I saw, this place could apparently fit about five hundred people. And it was currently packed.