V8: Chapter 9 - Into the Woods

Akabane Karma POV

Sunday came and went in a flash, and it was now Monday, the fifth day of the test.

All four hours of our morning lessons were devoted to exercise. We had to walk or run an eighteen-kilometre course that was going to be used for the long-distance relay race, and then be back for our afternoon lessons. Since it was a relay race, each person would only be running a kilometre or two. But we were in the mountains, and the way could be rocky and steep.

We've been running for about five kilometres, exhausting our stamina. The other day, we'd only worked up a light sweat. The difference between then and now was incredible.

"Seriously, how much higher does this slope go?" Takanashi panted as we passed a sign telling us to be wary of wild boars.

Even though the road that led to the summit was paved to allow vehicles, the incline was extremely steep. Simply walking up it was going to strain our legs. On top of that, since we'd been getting up early to make breakfast, we were tired. We only got a break on Sunday because the school showed some mercy.

"How long is it going to take for us to get back?"

"It's a distance of eighteen kilometres. Walking the entire time would take us... about four and a half hours," Suzui informed.

"You've gotta be screwing with me. We ain't gonna have any time left to eat lunch!"

"Then we have to run faster, Takanashi. The more we run, the sooner it'll be over," said my classmate Moriyama, rather bitterly.

Despite everything, we have kept pace with the second- and third year students in our large group.

"Don't talk crazy. No way in hell I can run eighteen kilometres."

"Don't tire yourself out by talking for no reason," warned Moriyama.

Students with decent stamina could have started to sprint right away but doing that continuously for eighteen kilometres certainly wasn't the best idea. We have succeeded in maintaining our group together because Ishikura, Nagumo and I agreed to form a platoon that could go at a constant pace, speeding up and decelerating accordingly with the terrain.

"Yeah, I get it. But still, why eighteen kilometres and not something like four hundred meters or something," Takanashi continued to complain.

Takanashi wasn't a friend of physical activity.

"Shut up... Just be quiet and run."

If we kept our current pace and with thirteen kilometres or so to go, we would be able to make it back within the stipulated time. For that to happen, though, no one could lag behind to the point of being abandoned by the platoon.

That's why I refused to be at the head of the group and kept myself near the back. This way, I could keep an eye on those with less physical aptitude and Koenji, who was lagging behind us, and should be an asset the day of the exam. He would run, but I still needed to make sure he would run seriously for our group to get first place.

Sensing someone behind me was getting further away, I turned to find that Koenji had just veered off the byroad and gone into the forest. No one else had noticed. They were solely focused on looking ahead. Takanashi wasn't our only problem child. I couldn't see Koenji anymore and there wasn't any sign that he was coming back; this probably wasn't a minor detour.

I sighed. "Well, it is what it is... Koenji went off on some other path back there. I'll go call him back."

"Huh? What in the hell is he doin' now?!" With no students around who seemed capable of stopping him, Takanashi's voice seemed to just get louder and louder which attracted the attention of some upperclassmen.