SS18: Ryuuen Kakeru - Fear

"Violence shows you who people really are. The ones doing the beating, and the ones being beaten." I closed my eyes and chuckled weakly. "Ah, ahh...heh. Ha... You're having your fun, huh? Being cocky, with strength like that. You're free. Free to do as you want! So, show me, Akabane! Show me the madman you really are!"

His grin faded immediately, and he stopped for a second, glaring at me dead in the eyes.

Then, he punched me.

And again.

And again.

And again.

Blood flowed all over my mouth. I couldn't even protect myself anymore. I was simply receiving one punch after the other. I tried to talk once again but he didn't allow me to.

My face twisted in pain, contorting as I saw his expression. There was no smile anymore, his eyes showed rage. Never had I seen him with such an expression. He would always have his mischievous smile and joke around, mocking people. This was unusual.

He looked actually mad. He looked even more terrifying than with that lunatic smile he had before. Those eyes full of rage showing me the truth:

This guy was ready to kill me.

He was ready to do it here and now if no one stopped him.

To him, I wasn't here anymore. I was just the punching bag he was using to unleash his anger. I was the punching bag he would use until he was tired. He would continue with the punches long after I fell unconscious.

That thought frightened me.

It terrified me.

It couldn't be over.

It wasn't supposed to be like this. We were four to one. The odds were on our side. How? Just How? How could he destroy us like this? Was he even sweating? I had no idea. I could only feel his fist connecting against my face again and again. I could only look into those enraged eyes in between punches.

Mikoto knew about this monster?

What am I asking? Of course, she knew.

... And she didn't warn us, she didn't even dare to show up... Despite myself, I couldn't blame her if she cowered.

This was all my fault.

This wasn't the first time I lost. This wasn't the first time I miscalculated something. But this felt different. To be crushed this badly. I had never been toyed with like this... For the first time, I felt fear.

No, that word wasn't enough.

I was terrified.

This bastard was gonna kill me and I couldn't do anything. I was completely powerless.

I was about to lost consciousness.

I was going to die.

This was wrong. I was wrong. I was unable to picture this kind of scenario, but it was understandable to make that mistake, right? Who could have predicted Akabane was going to obliterate us? Who could have predicted the stakes were this high. Losing was one thing. Toying with your opponent was once thing. Destroying an opponent was one thing. But this... this weren't supposed to be the stakes.

There was a loud sound that I was too dizzy to recognise but the blows stopped so that was good. I fell to the ground the instant Akabane let go of me.

What happened?

There was a laugh.

"Hah! Now that's a hit!"

A hit? What? Someone came? I wanted to peek but had no strength, so I remained lying on the floor. I couldn't see anything, I had no idea if my eyes were closed or opened, everything was just dark.