V2: Kocho Shinobu's Monologue

I once believed that the road of happiness continued forever and ever into the distance. Yet, it was destroyed on that day when I found her. She was just lying there, on the floor of her appartement, lifeless. I then, realized for the first time that that road lied upon a thin sheet of glass.

However, there were those whose happiness haven't been destroyed yet. So, I wanted to get stronger and protect them. It became my desire. That was the promise I made to her on her funeral. So, I decided to dedicate my life to it.

I couldn't lie to myself, though. Even if I wanted to protect the weak to keep them on the road of happiness, it wasn't my only motivation.

No... I wish for revenge. Revenge for the murder of my sister. Even if the police declared it a suicide, I knew it wasn't the case. A simple read through the police file was enough to determine that.

That caused me to reach one conclusion. The police itself was covering it. That realization only increased my resolve. I had to climb and reform those organisms from the bottom. That's how I renounced the normal life Kanae wanted me to have.

The simple thought of my sister's killer still being out there somewhere was enough to make my blood boil...

Even if I had renounced to that normal life, and despite my constant rage, I had kept the smile my sister said she loved. It was the only thing I could do for her now.

Entering ANHS was the first step to accomplish my goals. Graduating from Class A would be a great plus before my next step to the NPA. The class competition could only made me stronger.

That said, I had noticed that competition against other classes may not be my only concern here. During the first day, on my introduction, I had noted the eyes of my classmate Akabane Karma widen a little when he heard my name. Since then, he had avoided me as much as possible, focusing on other things. I had yet to confront him about it, but I plan to do it soon.

The priority until now had been to become an important member of my class. While doing so, I was able to get close to Matsuo Eiichiro, one of the pillars of our class. Akabane Karma had done the same with Ichinose Honami. And so, I feared a break in our class and wanted to avoid it. Yet, at the same time, I needed to be prepared for a clash with him.

It didn't really matter if I was weaker than him.

Even if we're weak and can't cut off demon heads, if we defeated at least one of them, we could save one, dozens or even hundreds of innocent people.

It isn't whether we can or cannot. There are things we simply have to do.

___________________________________________
Volume 2 begins with Shinobu's Monologue.

It's basically one or two of her quotes that I modified here and there.

I thought of doing Mikoto's monologue, but couldn't thing of anything after a few words. I'll probably do a short story with her, though.