V3: Chapter 7 - Reshuffle

Misaka Mikoto POV

I stretched myself.

The devise was about to reset so she should arrive any minute now.

I had been on standby since the first day, keeping a close eye on all the classes. Well, more specifically on Nao and Karma.

I found Nao's attitude during the second day quite suspicious. So, I focused on her a little more, and it really paid off. Her third day hadn't been much but when she started hunting those spots for Class D, I understood Kiyotaka had met her. I had been lucky not to be following Nao when she met Kiyotaka. It was already hard enough to keep my presence hidden from her.

I had to admit I was a little excited. After five days, I was finally joining the action.

"Mikoto?"

I turned to my left to meet the person I was waiting.

"Hello Nao, how are you doing?"

She stepped a little closer. It was still a little dark, but we could differentiate each other quite well at this distance. I looked over her wrist, her watch was broken.

"You were supposed to have retired..."

I grinned.

"I could say the same to you."

"You want to know who's Class D's leader?"

"Oh, I will know who their leader is, but, right now, I'm just preventing you from claiming more spots for Kiyotaka. So, I gently ask you to give me the key card and retire."

She chuckled.

"I cannot do that. I support the idea of leaving the work to you and retiring though..."

"Does that mean you want us to fight?"

She shrugged.

"You sure you stand a chance?" I asked her.

"That doesn't matter. Any wound I can cause you is good and receiving wounds myself would show Kiyotaka that I did my best when defending his class."

She finished saying those words with a satisfied smile.

"I see. If that's how you want to play it, then I suppose I have no choice but to follow along."

I was going to attack but Nao was faster and in a matter of seconds she was by my side. A leg behind me and her right arm approaching my neck she tried to send me to the floor.

Taking her right arm with my left hand and her shirt with my right, I raised her and threw it a little further to put some distance between us.

"Eh? I suppose I was a little obvious..." she commented standing up calmly while shaking off the dirt from her clothes. "You won't go easy on me, then?"

"You want it to look real, right?"

She grinned and took a fighting stance. I did the same and approached her slowly. This time she didn't move.

As I was about to enter the space where she could reach me, I took a longer step and threw a jab towards her face. Dodging by going under my arm she closed to remaining distance between us and hit me on the armpit with her forearm. Taking a few steps back I lost my balance for a second. Taking advantage of the momentum, Nao grabbed my arm and driven me toward her, she jumped and hit me again, this time on the jaw using her knee.

Allowing me to make some distance between us, I put a finger in my mouth. I was bleeding a little. Looking at Nao, I saw her with a smug smile and jumping a little as if she was on a karate match.