SS31: Akabane Karma - What of it?

After everything had been settled and the school building was left devoid of students, I came back to my classroom.

There, sitting on her desk, was Chie, looking at me with a mix of curiosity and hostility.

Not that I wasn't used to her hostility by now.

I let out a sigh and entered as I looked over the cameras.

Still, sometimes, it was just tiring, really.

At least in the White Room, I could tell myself it wasn't my fault. The instructors were just like that.

But dwelling on such things was of no use. After all, I had things to do that really mattered.

"Chie," I showed her a smile. "Thank you for meeting me."

"What is it that you want this time, Karma?" she spat, standing up from her desk.

"Always so hasty, huh?" I laughed. "Did you bring the papers?"

She nodded and gestured toward a small bag that was on the desk. I grabbed it and spilled its contents all over, revealing a bunch of small papers. I took a seat on the chair and began to go over each paper one by one.

"I don't understand why you want them," Chie said. "You received thirty-eight criticism votes and no praise votes. That's it."

"So, you want to talk now?" I raised an eyebrow and glanced at her while I discarded another paper with my name on it.

My little comment seemed to anger her if the fact that she slammed both her fists on the desk was anything to go by. She was also about to say something but thought again, and after calming herself down with a deep breath, spoke. "Karma... Can you stop being a smartass for five seconds? I'm not even asking for a minute, just five seconds!"

I kept my attention on her for a moment, then returned to the papers.

"I want to confirm something."

"Who didn't vote against you?"

"Something like that—"

"Karma!"

I let out a snort as I leaned back on the chair and dropped another paper.

"You know, Chie? Some time ago, you were thrilled to have me in your class."

"Yeah, that was until you proved yourself an egotistical psycho who can't even get results."

"Hmm..." I nodded a few times, mostly to myself.

"What?" my behaviour seemed to confuse her.

"So, that's how you see me, huh?" I bit my lip, somewhat amused.

An egotistical psycho, was it?

"How am I supposed to see you after this year?" she asked, although I was sure it was more rhetorical than anything. "Am I supposed to go to the pope and tell him to canonise you?"

"Nah, a beatification should do just fine."

"... and there you go again," she lamented, probably crossing her arms. I didn't see her since my attention was again on the papers. It was just my name, so I supposed Chie separated them from all the others when she counted them or something.