V4.5: Chapter 6 - The Bookstore and the Movie Theatre

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka POV

"What do you think of this one, Ayanokouji-kun?"

Hiyori's cute voice drove my attention away from the book I was examining.

Currently, we were in one of Keyaki Mall's stores. And to everyone's surprise, Hiyori had been the one who proposed us to come here.

Up until now, she had spent all her summer vacation on the school library reading, and every attempt to get her out of there had been fruitless. So, even if visiting a bookstore wasn't everyone's idea of fun, we all had agreed to Hiyori's proposal immediately.

On her hands, she was holding a book, the cover turned in my direction so that I could easily see it.

"The Lies of Locke Lamora?" I inquired.

She nodded

"Mm, it's about an orphan who became a thief to survive, thanks to his genius he quickly became infamous, making even the most powerful and dangerous people of the city dance on the palm of his hand."

"Sounds interesting."

She nodded again at my comment.

"But haven't you read it already?"

"I did read it on the library, but I wanted to buy a copy for myself, or maybe I should buy something I haven't read..." she mumbled looking down and placing the book back on the shelf.

What did I do?

"You should buy it if you want to, Hiyori. I can pay for it if you want even. You can consider it your birthday gift."

She took the book again giggling.

"That would be a pretty early birthday gift, Ayanokouji-kun."

"Really? When is your birthday then?"

"January 21," she said with a smile while hugging her book.

"Oh. Yeah, that would be a pretty early gift..."

Every student's birthdays were on Nao's reports. I would have to check again.

She giggled again.

"But I would be very happy if Ayanokouji-kun offered me a book he likes for my birthday."

"Hmm. I'll remember that then."

"And when is Ayanokouji-kun's birthday?" she asked me. "I would like to offer you something as well."

"October 20, but you shouldn't force yourself to buy me something. I don't need anything."

"No, no, Ayanokouji-kun. I'll do it because I want to. It's a good way to show my book-buddy how much I appreciate him."

"I see... Thanks then—"

A sound of books falling reach our ears interrupting our conversation.

Immediately, Hiyori, looking worried stormed in the direction the sound had come and I followed her. Oddly enough, we found a very embarrassed Airi, five books on the floor next to her and a laughing Haruka, Akito and Ibuki surrounding her.

Ibuki who was the first one to notice us, spoke.

"Shiina, Ayanokouji! You should have seen! Damn, it was hilarious!" she exclaimed between laughter.