III - A Companions Restraint

A place where my mind feels most at peace.

***

As my face is met with bright rays of the gradually rising sun peeking through my window, I groan in annoyance at the thought of having to get up for training again.

But it was only one more day until this mission so that provided motivation for me to swing my legs over the side of my bed and make an effort to get ready.

I tidied my hair up as walked down the corridors, the occasional soldier walking passed me and uttering a small 'morning.' My feet dragged over the old wood as I sluggishly made my way down to the mess hall for breakfast. I turn a corner before feelings two arms getting thrown over my shoulders. Slapping myself mentally back into reality, I look up and see Reece and Zion resting on either of my shoulders.

"Morning, Sunshine." Reece beamed. His enthusiasm infectious and rubbing itself onto me, making me return a smile.

"Morning guys. How'd you sleep?" I question, descending the stairs from the dorm corridors to the mess hall.

"Good, you?" Zion asked as he gazed at me thoughtfully.

"Yeah, though I'd prefer to still be laying in bed right about now." I huff. "Where's Sam?" I ask him, turning my head and eyeing Zion.

"He said he'd be down in a second. I don't know what he's doing but that's his problem." He answers. We paced to our table before sitting down in our usual spots. I rest my chin in my palm as my elbow was propped on the table, drawing circles with my finger on the table. A familiar face enters the room and prances her way over to us, literally sliding in the chair next to me. I look up in fright, gazing at Hange wide eyed as I admire her giddiness so early in the morning.

"Are you okay, Sunshine?" Zion asked, looked at me perplexed. I turn to him and raise a questioning eyebrow. Hange giggled.

"What's with the nickname?" I ask, purposely avoiding the question because in all honesty, I had a shitty sleep last night. I wanted to hinder the boys from giving me an earful for not keeping an eye on my personal health.

"It suits you." Reece shrugged. I scrunch my eyebrows together slightly.

"How? I'm not the most enthusiastic person there is." I say, my eyes flicking between the two boys who smiled sheepishly.

"It's cute, now hush." Zion says, completely shutting down the conversation.

"Sorry I'm late." Another familiar face joins the table as he sits down. "What are we talking about?"

"Oh, oh!" Hange strains in her seat. "They've now adapted to calling our precious child over here 'Sunshine.'" She giggled.

"Child? I'm eighteen-" I begin.

"Shh, no one needs to know that." She says as she presses a finger to my lips, forcing me to become silent. I furrow my eyebrows slightly in annoyance, both at not being able to finish my statements and my questions being answered in an unsatisfactory manner. I roll my eyes as I shove her hand away from my mouth, making her giggle at the gesture.

"Sunshine?" Sam raised his brows and glances at me, his eyes examining me. "It suits you."

"That's what I said!" Reece exclaims as his mouth was left agape.

Food was being brought out and placed onto tables at the front of the hall. Luckily for me, that was a way to either get away from this table or get them away from the table. Either option worked, neither were preferable. The people I'm closely acquainted with are truly crazy, regardless of their subtlety. I stood up to grab some food before Reece reached forward and gripped my wrist. I gaze back down at him and watch as he, Zion and Sam stood.