LXIV - Winter Wishes

"Goodnight, Lee."

***

The next day started off uneventful.

After my early morning interaction with both the commander and my captain, neither of them nor the section commander graced the mess hall with their presence for breakfast a few hours afterwards. I assumed they were all gathering in the infirmary for a brief summary of what had happened yesterday, informing Levi of theories of how the titans managed to get inside the wall that hadn't been breached and the loss of the commanders arm.

Everything was a low hum in the back of my mind, not begging to take my attention whatsoever. Honestly, I wasn't sure how I felt. I pushed my food around in my bowl, barely processing whatever thought that had crept its way into my head.

We had a few days off, at least until the commander was in better condition to continue with his duties, and with Levi still selecting the new members for the new Special Operations squad, I could only train by myself. I had decided that for the day, I would hire a carriage and load it with supplies before sending it to Ehrmich for the Price family, just to help Triz with looking after the family.

"Y/N, are you okay?" A voice asks me, their voice breaking my train of thought. I raise my head slightly to look at whoever had acknowledged me from across the table. My eyes meet Armins, lake blue eyes peering at me from over the top of a book he had picked out to accompany him to breakfast. His acknowledgement lead others to also gaze at me in curiosity, trying to read my body language and expression.

"Hm? Oh yeah, I'm fine." I reassure with an obvious bored tone. "Just trying to figure out my days schedule, is all." My chin returned to my palm, my cheek smooshed against my hand as I drift away again and my hand continues picking away at my food. I could tell with the short silence that had followed before my mind had succumbed back to the peaceful state, they didn't believe what I said was true. Eren and Mikasa shared a look of uncertainty, wondering if they should push further, while Armin pursed his lips in contemplation.

"If so, what's on the agenda?" Sasha asks, plopping herself beside me making me bounce back into reality once more. I shrug knowingly, gaze not raising from the plate as the hand that my chin had been resting on laid down on the table.

"I was meant to help Zion's family with some personal matters at some point. Or at least make things a lot easier for them to cope with their current situation. So I'll be sending some resources to them to help them out a little." I reply.

"That's very sweet of you." Armin smiles, his hand putting the book down before resting on his forearms.

"They'd do the same for my family." I say before an arm was slung over my shoulder. I roll my eyes cheekily with a grin gracing my features the bench beneath us bending a little more due to the added weight.

"My ears were ringing." Zion comments, giving me a little squeeze before his arm retreated.

"For the wrong reasons, I hope." Reece adds making the boy beside me scoff before he swatted at him playfully.

"You two are in an awfully good mood for the day after a mission such as yesterdays." I say casting them a glance.

"Everyday's a good day if you make it a good day, Sunshine." Zion replies making me snicker.

"I suppose that's a way to put it." I indirectly agree before pushing the bowl away from me and towards Sasha. Her eyes gleamed with excitement as she eagerly picked up the same fork I had been using and immediately dug in. "I'm going into town, I'll be back sometime this afternoon."

"I'll tag along!" Hange exclaims as she approached the table with Levi beside her. "I have the day free so I may as well do something." She shrugged. I give her a smile.