XXXIX - Things Change

"Yeah, I'll try."

***

"Her gear doesn't need examining." Levi said to a soldier who had walked up to us as we walked through Headquarters, a book tucked under the ravens arm. He hadn't even been able to utter a word before Levi shut him down.

"B-but sir, it's a necessity for all soldiers in-" He stammered out.

"She was with me last night. She doesn't need an examination performed." He deadpanned, chills involuntarily being sent down my spine. The soldier gulped as he sweat dropped.

"Yes sir." He simply squeaked before scurrying away.

"Levi, you know I don't mind having my gear checked, right?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows at his sudden distasteful.

"Why have your gear checked when I know you're not the culprit?" He answers with a question.

"To save everyone shitting themselves when they're to speak to you before they can even look at me." I answer back. He glared at me, his tongue running along his top teeth under his closed lips. "Face it Levi, everyone's terrified of you."

"If everyone's so scared of me, why aren't you?" He asked, a glare set in his eyes though the genuineness in his tone said he wanted an answer. I raised an irritated eyebrow.

"Are you blinded by annoyance or are you actually clueless?" I question, frustration evident in my voice. His glare turned colder as he noticed neither option was positive. "I've know you longer than most, I've seen your soft side, I've beat you multiple times in hand to hand rounds. There's nothing to be afraid of."

"Keep your trap shut." He deadpanned before walking away leaving me flabbergasted.

"You asked, asshole!" I called after him as I hurried in his direction. "What's on the agenda today, Captain?" I ask looking at the walls of the hallways.

"Once examination is done, you're training the squad while I deal with the titan brat." He deadpans, not sparing me a glance.

"Petra said I have to document Eren's behaviors, perhaps we can swap roles?" I suggest. He remained silent for a moment before responding.

"I'm the only one who can kill him if he loses control." He replied bluntly making me furrow my eyebrows as I eyed him walking in the direction of my office.

"Have you forgotten who taught you half the things you know?" I ask folding my arms in a huff. "Do you have such little faith in me or is your ego just that big?"

"Do you ever shut your mouth or did your time in Garrison affect that too?" He spat back and I chuckle in response.

"Again, things change over the span of six years, Levi." I reply nonchalantly. He rolls his eyes with a scoff, disappearing into my office. "What are you doing here, anyway?" I ask, wondering what in my room he could want. He stood in the center of the room, glancing around at all the surfaces before walking towards the desk and running his fingers along the top. He brings his fingers up to his face, inspecting the tips of them before rubbing them and his thumb together.

"Better cleaning job than most others, but not perfect." He says. I raise my eyebrow in confusion.

"Am I supposed to feel insulted or complimented?" I ask perplexed.