LXII - A Perspective Of Distrust

So, the grieving, the mourning and the mental thank you's for those who had died in the line of duty will have to wait, just that little bit more.

***

The ride back to Rose unnerving and silent. I remained by Erwin's side, keeping a close eye on his condition as his shoulder kept seeping with blood. His eyes were drooping slightly, hands loosening from the reins as he fought with the sleep his mind wanted to embrace.

I gesture a few soldiers over, slowing my horse down as I look around the plains, checking if there was anything that could pose a threat, regardless of it being well passed dusk. The night sky was gloomy, as was the tension that hung between all of people that had witnessed the events that had occurred today. The night had a blanket of dark clouds coating the sky, representing our feelings. Not even the slightest glimpse of the moon, let alone the stars could be caught between any of the clouds, making us full dependent on the torch light other soldiers had been equipped with.

How fast the night came was relieving, in a way. Knowing that the probability of titans roaming around the lands are very slim gave us the chance to take a breather before we went on our way back to Rose once more.

"Commander, let's stop for a moment." I say. He pulled his horse to a gradual stop, his head slowly turning around to glance at me. The few soldiers that had responded to my gesture trotted to either side of me, torches giving that glow to the area around us. I dismount my horse, looking at the soldiers with a slight grateful nod.

"Keep an eye out real quick. I'll help the commander before we continue." I say. They nod, a silent gesture that deemed enough of an effective answer before handing me a torch and splitting off into two duos. Erwin rode up to me, his eyes struggling to stay open. "Come on, Erwin, I'll try stop the bleeding. Can't have you passing out midway." I say, offering him out a hand. His lips were parted, audible breaths leaving him as his shaking hand reached down towards mine. Though, when our hands connected, he nearly fell off his horse, my smaller figure barely catching him before he harshly hit the ground. I strained a little under the sudden weight of his body.

I let out a slight wince at the pressure, my body still not fully healed after the expedition, before I slowly lower him to the ground. He breathed heavily, eyes screwed closed as he tried to regain his breathing.

"How are you feeling?"I ask, standing up quickly and pacing towards Sin who stood a few feet away grazing at the grass. I gave him a scratch on his neck, before moving to the satchel that hung from the saddle, always holding a bottle of water in case of thirst or wound cleansing. He grunted before letting out a sigh, shuffling around on the ground a little before sitting down more comfortably.

"Like a hundred healthy old men." He rasped. I scoff softly, pulling out the items and closing the satchel once again. I unscrew the cap to the water, kneeling on one knee before the commander and offering out the drink, insisting he took it. His glance shifted between the bottle and I, heavy eye bags hanging under his eyes and seemingly weighing down his upper eyelids. He looked much too exhausted to be riding horseback, his cheeks even losing their colour under the torch's flickering orange flames. His hand reached out for the water, bringing it to his lips before down over half of what I had.

His throat let out a hoarse sound as he gained back the air that had left his lungs, quickly panting before I shift over to his side. His right arm, or what was left of it at least, was slowly seeping thick liquid, though the colour wasn't quite discernible in the little light provided.