XXIII - Rude Awakenings

Don't die, brat.

L.

***
-1 month after transfer-

"Y/N!" A voice from outside the bedroom door sounded with a slight muffle to it. I place down the pen that I held in my hand, getting ready to reply to the letters I had received.

"Yes?" I call back. The door opened revealing Raquel, a soldier that I grew to know in Felix's squad. She smiled.

"Hey! I've been looking for you everywhere. I have good news." She says strolling to my bed and plonking herself down. I raise an eyebrow, shifting in my chair to look at her more comfortably.

"Oh? That news being what?" I ask, interlacing my fingers and resting my hands on my stomach.

"We're going to Karanes tomorrow because we're on patrol there for a week!" She exclaims happily. I gaze at her blankly, not moving or seeing how this is good news. This doesn't benefit me at all, apart from being able to see my parents.

"I fail to see how this is good news." I admit. She grinned cheekily before giggling briefly.

"That's the thing, my dear friend. Both the Commander and Captain Felix said we can stop in at the Scouts Headquarters for a visit!" She beamed. My eyes widen and I sit up in my chair.

"What?! Really?!" I ask, my happiness brewing at the top. She nodded eagerly in response.

I can see them. I can see my friends. It's been the longest month without them, even with my new friends. Don't get me wrong, Raquel, Jay and Hayden are nice, but they're not them.

"I'm glad." I beam. "It's been so long."

"Ugh, tell me about it. My cousin's there too." Raquel whines as she lays down on the bed. I raise an eyebrow.

"I didn't know you knew anyone in the Scouts." I say amused. After the news, I'm suddenly upbeat.

"Well we did only become friends like a week ago." She chuckles. I shrug in response.

"Who's your cousin?" I ask. She chuckled a little before turning to me.

"You know Zion?" She asked. My mouth nearly fell open at the words that had left her mouth.

"Ain't no way. He's one of my best friends, he's like a brother to me." I reply, her eyes widening at my response.

"What a coincidence." She laughed before her face set into a serious one. "Now hurry up, dinners soon and we have a long trip tomorrow."

"Okay, calm down." I chuckle, heaving myself up and striding towards the door.

As we entered the Garrison Mess Hall, you could easily tell the high contrast between the atmosphere here and then back home with the scouts.

It was very neutral here, conversations were kept to a suitable tone imitating the light hum of a hummingbird, whereas the atmosphere at home was much more livelier.

Unless after an expedition.

Everyone was loud, though, not nearly as loud as my table. Everyone was somewhat happy despite our occupation as a soldier who has the most dangerous job in the walls.