LXXXII - When Dependant On Trust

"Finish your food and your tea, then get yourself as comfortable as you can in this foul place. We leave at first light." 

***

The sun bloomed high over the peaks of the wall. 

The morning was blessed with a cool breeze and the grass donned a sleek white coat; a morning frost. Our figures were hidden amongst the trees, beneath the heights of the tall grass, hoods hiding our faces from the world. 

"Sir, I hear people!" Sasha exclaimed in a hushed whisper. Everyone perked up at this information, Armin rushing for some buckets we had for water and bolting for the creak nearby. 

"Mikasa, we attack from above. Everyone else, provide support from the bushes." Levi ordered before he shot an anchor into the trees, disappearing from the area. The rest of us rushed after Armin, diving into bushes and behind trees as we caught up to him, watching warily from between the leaves as he dunk a bucket into the creek. 

Our hoods were up, Connie had a hat on with twigs stuck to it; a poor attempt at more camouflage. Footsteps became more and more evident as they neared our location, most of us tucking ourselves further behind the overgrown shrub of the woods as we listen to a girl and a boy in uniform, step toward the blonde and pointing their rifles at him. 

"Don't move." The boy orders, making Armin visibly tense up. "Put both hands up, stand. Turn around." The blonde did as he was told, standing up slowly with his hands raised and turning to face the threats. "You're a Scout?" But he stayed unresponsive. 

"That's right. Just stay silent, do what I say and it'll all be-" The subtle victory in his voice was cut short, Mikasa and Levi dropping from the trees right behind the two MP's and held their blades across the enemy's necks. 

"Nice and slow, now." Levi said lowly. "Hand your weapons to him." Armin stepped forward, carefully taking the firearms from their grips before stepping back. 

"Not a sound, right? Leave your uniforms and all your gear behind. Your boots, but don't worry. We have shoes for you." The blonde said. Levi and Mikasa both stepped away but didn't drop their swords, still pointing them at the two who slowly started removing what Armin had requested they removed. I came out from the bush I hid in, glancing around cautiously in case we had somehow managed to miss someone before moving toward two  who were now working their hands around their harnesses. 

Mikasa watched as I walked by her, her hands digging into her pocket, pulling out some restraints and holding them out to me. Wordlessly, I take them from her and walk to the two who just dropped the last of their harness and looked toward the raven. 

"On your knees, hands out." I deadpan, watching as their gazes dragged from the captain to me, their legs giving out from beneath them hopelessly, their knees hitting the ground below with a soft thud. I crouch before the boy, his hands trembling as he brought them out in front of him. I began binding his wrists together, Mikasa doing the same with the girl beside him. Standing up after I had finished, I looked down at the two. They looked so young, around the squads age at the very least. I looked down at their piles of belonging that sat a few feet behind them, catching glimpse of a small book that peeked out from beneath one of the cloaks. 

I picked it up, the cover of the book being the Military Police crest; a unicorn with a blade for a horn. I had seen a book similar to this in Garrison, my brother having carried one exactly like this except with the roses instead of the horse. It was used for keeping track of squad members data and statistics, something I thought only regiment superiors held. Who knows, things could be significantly different in the interior. 

Examining the cover, I turn and walk toward Levi, offering it out to him as he glances down at it. He took it from my hands, sparing me a brief glance before flipping to the front page.He hummed quietly to himself, the sword he was leaning on blurring as he flipped it around and rested the back of his blade on his shoulder, pacing behind our hostages.