LXXXI - Thread And Tension

"With your arm like that, you aren't going anywhere."

***

My eyes looked into his, a steely gaze I lost myself in every so often. He had stood just to hinder me from moving elsewhere, adamance set in his eyes as a silent insistence lingered behind his mysterious irises. I opened my mouth before closing it again, not a single sound seeming to want to leave me, gazing into his eyes that only peered back unblinkingly.

"Let me help you." He stood his ground, his jaw tightening in anticipation, hand clamping over the fabric of his shirt that he held tightly in his hand, his scent making me dizzy. His scent, a smell that gave me the reminder of a different home I hadn't experienced, I subconsciously delighted in every time it invaded my senses. Levi's grip on my wrist remained the same, not loosening to risk air separating our contact, not tightening to further the ache and force a pained wince from my throat.

For some reason, I felt blood slowly make its way to my face, my cheeks suddenly feeling rather warm as I avert my gaze to the side. I scoff, his stubbornness always having to play through when I seemed to near the open possibility of pure defiance.

"Fine, but put on your shirt!" I reply back with my head still facing away from him, quite proud of myself as I expertly managed to avoid the stutter I anticipated I'd trip over somewhere in the midst of my sentence. He blew out a breath he appeared to have been holding, his hand only loosening before he released me gently. I turned, looking around frantically for something to do in the short time it would take for him to put his shirt one, only flinching as the door slammed open and Jean marched in.

I sigh in relief, pacing toward him as he eyed Levi in confusion as the shirt in his hand was slowly making its way up his arms and covering his body.

"Jean, are you okay?" I ask, watching as he took a step back in surprise.

"Y-Yeah, you? Have you gotten your arm patched up yet?" He asked, gaze drifting down my arm that still donned the strip of his cloak we had used to restrict the blood a little, the earth coloured cloth taking on the colour of a deep red and rusty brown. "Ah." He let out as he saw the answer for himself.

"I'll be fine, Levi said he would tend to it." I say with a reassuring tone.

"So why are you going everywhere but where the Captain is?" He asked. I looked at him with wide eyes, the question not having an appropriate answer that would accurately fit the situation without it not making any sense.

"I-" I manage to choke out.

You cunning little shit.

"Jean!" Mikasa interrupts as she burst through the door holding a rifle. Her eyes scanned the room, falling on the brunette boy who stood before me as she immediately drew his attention away from me. She walked toward him, taking the rifle strap off her shoulder and offering it out to him. "You're on watch." She says.

"How's Armin?" He asks as he takes the firearm from her hands, her gaze dropping to the ground to the side.

"He's still outside." She answered with a slight meek manner.

"I see." Jean replied, matching her tone before he stepped around us and out the door. Levi stood awkwardly to the side, his shirt now covering his torso as his gaze flickered between Mikasa and I in question. With a sigh, I moved to sit on the box he had been sitting on just a minute ago, leaning forward and placing my elbows on my knees, hands hanging between my thighs.

"He shouldn't have had to do that." I say breaking the silence. Levi silently kneeled before me, placing the med kit on the box beside me. He gestured for the bowl of water I had used for his wound, my hand reaching for it and handing it to him. He tipped out the water, grabbing his water bottle and tipping some in and cleaning it with a spare rag.