X - The Hours Of Dawn

"Black."

***

"Well that makes my job easier." He mutters to himself causing my eyebrow to raise slightly at the comment. Not questioning it I move towards the bench and pull two cups out of the cupboard.

"Do you need a hand?" I ask. He shook his head and stood up.

"You can go wait in the hall." He says. I furrow my eyebrows with a questioning smile.

"How can I be so sure you won't poison me?" I ask shifting my weight onto one leg. He turned to glare at me.

"Because you're the only person in this shitty place that seems to actually care about us." He deadpans. I blink in surprise. "Don't act so surprised. I don't trust you." He says turning his gaze to the cups. I couldn't be certain, but I'm sure he said 'yet' under his breath after his previous comment.

"Hm. If you insist." I say with uncertainty. I reluctantly paced out of the kitchen and walk to our usual table in the mess hall. I sigh as I slump down in my seat, interlacing my fingers and resting them on my stomach. No sound filled the hall except the soft crackles from the few torches that were lit. I lean my head back on my chair, stretching my legs out and closing my eyes in peace.

I sat like that for a while. Not thinking about anything in particular, it was just comfort in the atmosphere that made me feel somewhat free. I could hear the very faint footsteps of Levi approaching the table, as though he was trying not to startle me.

"You can relax around me." I say quietly, my eyes remaining closed. No response, just the soft clink of a teacup being placed on the table in front of me. I slowly open my eyes to Levi sipping his tea as he sat across from me. "Thank you." I mumble before picking up the cup and taking a sip. I had just noticed his unique way to hold a cup.

His fingertips held the rim with such delicacy it was almost as though it was just floating there. I raise an eyebrow slightly in amusement before he ruined my train of thought.

"What?" He said. I blink and drag my gaze from his hand to his eyes. I shook my head slightly.

"Nothing." I take another sip and stare at the table. I was about to open my mouth to say something when another set of footsteps approached the mess hall. Both mine and Levi's heads snapped towards the doorway where a certain redhead stood yawning with her arms stretched high above her body.

"Morning." She dozed. I chuckle lightly.

"Morning." I reply softly. She must not have realized I was in here too because when she heard my voice, her eyes snapped open.

"You-" Her eyes switching between me and Levi. "You're actually-" She points at me. "You're awake." And then she points at Levi. "And you're in the presence of someone who's not me or Farlan." It was quite humorous how confused she was at the sight.

"Yes?" I said with caution. I felt as though if I wasn't cautious with my response, Isabel would exclaim her next words. Sad part was it was no use.

"I thought you didn't get up before dawn!" She whined loudly.

"Oi." Levi nearly matched her tone except no playfulness and pure dread. Isabel fell dead silent and even I froze. The silence was incredibly unsettling and my mind was running wild. "Keep your tone down. It's too early for this shit." Levi spits lowly. I let out a short breath and turned to look at him.

"No need for the hostility. A simple please would've sufficed."  I say. He stared daggers at me and I simply returned the look. Ain't no way I'll let him have his way. Isabel uncomfortably cleared her throat to break the tension.