XXX - Content, But Not Quite Happy

But if I were to break, I'd prefer it be by the hands of one of my good friends.

***
~One year after Y/N's transfer~

I haven't seen Levi since his last visit to the Trost Headquarters.

I haven't seen the rest of them since the Felix squads visit a couple months prior.

But I was much better mentally than I was when the Fall happened. I wrote to the scouts once every week, briefly updating them on how things are going in Garrison, getting a reply back just a few days later.

Erwin and I had basically completely resolved the issues between us and were now on good terms. But he has said he's not making any progress on getting me back into the Scouts.

Hange got her promotion to section commander and I couldn't be more proud.

Actually, I could.

Levi got his position as squad captain, not only that, he became squad leader of the Scouts Special Operations squad and has yet to pick out his soldiers. For now, he's just the leader of a common squad.

Reece and Zion were on Hange's squad and as far as I'm concerned, they love being on her squad.

Captain Luca had left the scouts after losing an arm on an expedition, but he supposedly seemed happy about it. I heard from Reece that his wife was pregnant and due anytime now, so he could focus more on being a family man and living safely inside the walls.

Speaking of pregnancy, Kerrie, Felix's wife had given birth to a beautiful baby boy two months after the Fall of Maria. No problems were reported during labour and Kerrie is now a lot more physically active.

Funny thing is, it still grosses me out that my brother did things to make that child.

I turned 19 three months ago, and perfectly timed was all the birthday letters I received from everyone in the scouts. Hange wrote me a letter saying

And guess what? Not to offend you or anything but most of us forgot your birthday. It was Levi who reminded us so you can thank him for it!

That really surprised me and even though she said not to be offended, it did sting a little. But it makes sense, scouts are somewhat significantly more busy than other soldiers. Besides, with expeditions beyond the walls, their own lives are priority over the aging of another.

Them returning alive is a gift of its own.

Eren, Armin and Mikasa had quickly looked to me as an older sibling figure, the two boys always coming to me when someone dared to try intimidate them.

"You two need to learn to defend yourselves." I say as Armin, Eren and I walked through the streets of Trost.

"I know." Eren sighs in defeat.

"I would, Y/N, but I'm not sure I have the physical capability of doing so no matter how much I train." Armin admits making me chuckle.

"Everyone can have the capability, young one. You just have to own up to your words. Make goals, work towards them and push yourself beyond." I smile.